June 23, 2025

Reset

Monday is my day to reset for the week.
I will get my ducks in a row - make some plans for health and home, and prepare for Grandson fun.  

Agenda:
1. Read "5 Resets"
2. Live a Lifetime in a Day plan
3. Care for the kitchen
4. Kid Camp Preparations

1. Read "5 Resets":
I started this book for Lent: "The 5 Resets: Rewire Your Brain and Body for Less Stress and More Resilience" (2024), by Aditi Nerurkar. I'm into the 5th and final reset: 
Bring Your Best Self Forward, about silencing my inner critic.

The next technique is to Live a Lifetime in a Day, which is about slowing down and "incorporating the six elements that make up the arc of a long and meaningful life ..." The steps:
  • Childhood - time to cultivate wonder and play, find a flow state (could be playing with the boys or in nature).
  • Work - time to work, produce, achieve something, create meaning and purpose (could be creating art or writing my book).
  • Vacation - time to unplug, relax, and escape; find pleasure, contentment (could be gardening or reading a book).
  • Community - time with family or friends; find connection and community (could be an event or a phone call).
  • Solitude - time alone to spark creativity and revive (I know what this one is).
  • Retirement - time to pause and reflect, take stock of my life.

2. Live a Lifetime in a Day plan:
This seems like a wonderful exercise for the summer. It's an opportunity to slow down and relish everyday as it happens, redefine time in a welcoming and satisfying way, and build resilience. But it also seems like it could become another "task".  How can I build this idea into my day without too much fuss?

First of all - simplify. I'll combine and reduce to make my lifetime into these 3 parts:
  1. Child - slow down and play with the boys or in nature.
  2. Teen - time alone to spark creativity and courage.
  3. Adult - work, produce, achieve something, create meaning and purpose with art or writing.
  4. Grandma - time to unplug, relax, and escape to the garden or reading a book.
3. Care for the kitchen: 
My house care theme for this month is Basic Care and Zen Order. This means do the basics each week (sweeping, dusting, etc.) and find a zen balance of order that feels good.

This week I plan to:

  • Clear the kitchen table and counters and only return what is essential. Find a new home for everything else. 
  • Clear the refrigerator: Remove all the food from one shelf, and clean with a mild detergent.
  • Clear out the bottom shelf in the laundry room and make it useable.
4. Kid Camp Preparations:
My theme this week is color, and I only have my two year-old grandson, so we will pre-school things like a color bin and collages, and sewing a rainbow cape! 

No comments:

Post a Comment