October 3, 2026

Third Quarter Moon of Early October

Tonight is the waning Third Quarter moon of October. Today's moon energy is yang, a time for reciprocity, generosity, collaboration and connection; a final time of action before the next moon cycle.

October is a time for quieter energy, steady but gentle, allowing plenty of space for reflection and introspection. In the autumn I recognize my fears; I call on the wisdom and judgment of experience, and open my inner senses wide to feel my way forward through the shadows. Today I will pause to consider how to keep my pace steady and as persistent as a squirrel.

Saturday is my day for proaction: Proaction is taking initiative to anticipate and shape future events rather than simply reacting to circumstances as they happen. Some people think Covey should've just used the word ACT, but proaction requires a thought: "I could do this or I could do that; I choose to do this."

Agenda: 
1. Generosity practice
2. Weekly "First Things First"
3. Proaction and reciprocity plans
4. Read "The Achievement Habit"

1. Generosity practice:
On the first day of the waning third quarter moon, I make a practical plan for generosity with time and attention. In earlier phases of the moon I've been pretty self-focused, but as the moon wanes, it's time to consider how I will give back.

I start with ideas for being generous with myself, then my family, my neighborhood, community, and the earth. Consider what it is I have an abundance of at this time: I might decide to give money, a note or a gift, a visit, or simple acts of helping and sharing my time, or I might decide it's time to volunteer in a new way in our community.

This week's generosity plan:
  1. Self: Start a new novel and take time to read it.
  2. Family: Go full throttle with jet pack and gravestone projects
  3. Clerking: Learn names! and plan a clerk retreat.
  4. EC: Update IFEK calendar and EC news
  5. Writing: Abundant offers of my written wisdom.

When I'm motivated by the desire to give, just the intention to offer my help, and my willingness to listen, will begin to lessen suffering in the world.

2. Weekly "First Things First":
Saturday is a great day to journal about my dreams and goals for my life roles: What GREAT things do I want to accomplish? How will I serve people? How will I use my talents? How will I stretch myself? How can I become an “island of excellence”? What is essential?

Journal: Big themes for next week = Clerking, and the new moon shift to Synergy. I've got the plant give-away event - and nothing else. My biggest projects are house painting, planting new native plants (and lettuce), a halloween jet-pack, and a two art projects: a Downey Woodpecker watercolor and my earth coat. I will stretch myself to be an awake Earth Grandmother, aware of the start of fall, and my family's and community's needs.

3. Proaction and reciprocity plans:
Once I have clarity and a framework, then I try to define achievable, meaningful goals and prioritize the goals and tasks with the greatest long-term impact.

My plan for Earthcare Service in the next week:
  • Sat: Laminate a sign + Make butterflies to hang at Meeting
  • Sun: Plant Give-away event
  • M: Write an EC News with links; include advocacy ideas, restoration work, + info about ECEF
  • W: IFEK calendar work
  • F: Post News
My plans for clerking service in the next week:
  • Sun: Clerk meeting and learn new names + Ask Annie about Nom com
  • M: Clerk prep info out to Ethen
  • W: Plan clerk's retreat
4. Read "The Achievement Habit":
I'm reading from this book by Bernard Roth (2015), subtitled "Stop Wishing, Start Doing, and Take Command of Your Life". This is a book about "design thinking", applied to achieving goals in your life. It's due, so I'm going to skim and sum up the last chapters:

Chapter 7 is Group Habits, and it has a great section on Constructive Criticism. The gist of it is to say 2 "I like" statements first, followed by a pause, the add an "I wish" statement. So, "I really like the idea of supporting both these committees, and also giving clear guidelines for process." ..... "I wish we could stay neutral while doing that."

It's important not to add a But between - only a pause, which offers a space for figuring out a solution without judgement. I can also add a "What if..." after, to add my ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment