June 6, 2024

New Dragon Moon

Tonight is the new moon; the Chinese call the fifth new moon the Dragon Moon. Chinese dragons are a symbol of cosmic Chi, good fortune, and new beginnings, but the time around the Dragon Moon is strongly yang, with bright sunlight and moist heat. The Chinese consider this to be a dangerous and unhealthy season and they have customs to protect against the excessive yang energy.

I feel strong and effective when I am able to harness my yang energy to get stuff done, but I like to remember that yang's best aim is to protect yin, and yin's best function is to nurture yang; life is good when I have each in a kind of dynamic balance.

This week I will make an effort to bring a balance of restorative yin energy to my life: Slow down, rest well, drink more water, and practice ‘discipline of purpose’.

Agenda:
1. Retreat Day plan
2. Read "It's a Meaningful Life"
3. Choose a month theme
4. Set intentions
5. New moon altar and meditation
6. Blessings Walk


1. Retreat Day plan:
The new moon is the start of the lunar cycle, a time of high energy and clear thinking. Historically, the new moon is when women took time to be alone; it's a time to retreat, set intentions, and initiate something newIf at all possible, I schedule a day of retreat on the new moon, or near to it: I do less talking, less business, and more personal thought and action. Here's my plan for today -
  • Start with reading from It's a Meaningful Life, by Bo Lozoff.
  • Go outside to paint a mandala.
  • Work in the front garden, weeding and harvesting herbs.
  • Take a Balance Meditation Walk.
  • Take a long bath with bubbles and candles, and write about the balance I want in my life, then take an afternoon nap.
2. Read It's a Meaningful Life: 
I've been re-reading "It's a Meaningful Life; It Just Takes Practice," by Bo Lozoff (2000). The first half of the book dealt with the "inner journey of communion", and I'm now beginning the second section, "the outer path toward community". It's fitting that I start it now, just when the yang time of summer begins.

"Service and community are inextricable. Service, in the largest sense, could be defined simply as the manifestation of our inborn concern for the common good."

Bo talks about seeking a way of living that gives attention to the process of community; pay attention to the journey, not just the arriving. In other words, have mindfulness. "Every moment is important and relevant to a mind unburdened with ceaseless objects and concepts." He suggests that the pivotal spiritual practice is to "honor and care for all of creation all the time." And to be fully aware and respectful.

3. Choose a month theme:
Today I choose a theme for the month, and begin to give attention to it. My theme this month is balance - the balance of concentration and mindfulness, action and study, social and alone time, yearning and resistance.

In feng shui, the center of the home is the area of Tai Chi, the great ultimate. The image is of the celestial ridgepole, the line that connects two sides; it's the circle around and the point between yin and yang energies.

 

The center is the place where my soul lives; it touches all other areas of my life. My life flows around the solid base of my center. Goals for balance at the center might have to do with grounded-ness, finding clarity in chaos, embracing paradox, or allowing myself to flow with life’s changes. Remind myself to look at change as an adventure not a disruption. Also, this is the place of connection to Spirit - I might seek a closer relationship with the Spirit outside myself. 

4. Set intentions:
Last week I brainstormed some wild and crazy ideas for June, and today it's time to narrow it down a little, to the priority items that I could possibly focus on this next month. This isn't a list of the practical things I need to do this month; rather it's my top actions, studies, and growth goals that fit with the "taste" of this month of my life.

After I list my top 10-20 goals for the next 30 days, I'm ready to set some intentions for action. This is a time-consuming but important process. I'm going to choose a few to write today - those I might act on today - then work on a few more each day this week.

I intend to have integrity with the process of clerking this summer, by listening to what people are saying, and contacting every committee to check in and find what I need to hold; also, engage my co-clerk in a Quaker process of leadership that helps us all to grow and work on challenging issues together, because wise leadership requires attention and care, and is one way to witness love to the world.

I intend to overview the year, past and future, put myself in context with the whole of life, evaluate my progress, see what I’ve accomplished since January, and make careful adjustments in my goals and priorities, because June is a balance point of the year,  and an opportunity to shift and bend if needed.

  
5. New moon altar and meditation:
It's time to discern what to put on my altar for the next 30 days or so. (For my thoughts on altars see About Altars). I generally keep it simple and choose only things that speak to me and feed me, and reveal what I believe in. I ask, what quality of Spirit do I want to invoke?

I'm keeping-
  • a dragon - for good fortune
  • a sun - for clarity and yang energy
Today I added-
  • a golden candle - for balance in the center.
Next, I light a small white candle on my altar, center and meditate on the Great Yin - all that is dark, quiet, soft, and mysterious- and how grateful I am for this energy in my life.

6. Balance Walk:
This month, as I focus on balance, I will practice this walking meditation each morning, giving attention to my body, heart, mind, and ki, an Asian concept that translates to "energy, life-force, spirit, or breath." It’s the Cosmic Power that flows out from the center of the Universe and returns back to the center.

1. Grounding: Begin my walk, and give attention to my feet as they touch the ground, the feel of my muscles, my breathing, my surroundings. Center my weight low and maintain stability as I walk. Continue this for 1-2 blocks. 
 
2. Clarity: Turn a corner, and give attention to my mental state. Check in with my intentions for the day, and ask where I need elucidation. Take slow breathes as I walk to bring expansion of thought. Continue this for 1-2 blocks.
 
3. Equanimity: Turn a corner, and focus on my tender heart. Feel the love that brings passion for joyful life and service. Send loving thoughts to my neighbors, my family, my community, the world. Continue this for 1-2 blocks.
 
4. Flow: Turn the last corner, and (holding on to the awareness I've raised) notice the movement of life I am in, let go of the safety I am clinging to, and find a mantra to take with me today.

No comments:

Post a Comment