April 9, 2019

Spring Navratri Continues

Navratri continues tonight with the visit of Lakshmi, the Goddess of success.

Navratri is a Hindu holiday during which we honor and thank Shakti, the Divine Mother, in all her forms. Shakti is the universal principle of energy and creativity, Mother Earth, and the feminine power in each of us. 

The word nava means nine and ratri means nights; the festival lasts for nine nights which are broken up into sets of three, and during each set a different aspect of Shakti is meditated upon. For the next three nights the Mother is invoked as Lakshmi, goddess of material and spiritual wealth. 


Agenda Today:
1- Make a new rangoli design

2- Add to my altar
3- Morning meditation on creative growth 
4- Make sweet corn sundal
5- Evening visualization and prayer

6- Lakshmi mantra

1- Make a new rangoli design:
Rangolis are rice flour designs, made on the floor or a metal plate. At Navratri a new design might be made each day, with dots, squares, flowers, birds, and so on- each one designed to welcome the spirit of the Goddess.

For more information about rangoli, and how I made the colored rice flour, see my page Rangolis and how to make them.


2- Add to my altar:
On the fourth day of Navratri I add a bowl of coins from around the world, to remind me of the nurturing quality of the Shakti.

3- Morning meditation on creative growth:
During Navratri, Hindus work on their vyavhaar (behaviour) and acharan (character). Each of the three goddesses signifies a stage of the spiritual journey we all go through: Durga’s strength and energy creates an opening, Lakshmi’s success and fortune nurtures growth, and Saraswati’s wisdom and knowledge leads to enlightenment, happiness, and peace.

After Durga has destroyed the old structure of my personality, a constructive process can begin. The word Lakshmi comes from the Sanskrit word Laksya, meaning aim or goal. Lakshmi heals and nourishes my spirit and brings me steadiness of mind. She bestows spiritual and material wealth, good food, health, and happiness. 


On each morning of Navratri I light a small white candle, center, and feel myself fill with thankfulness for all I have now in my life. For these next three mornings I meditate on my inner life-giving force of creativity, and the qualities and habits I wish to cultivate in the days ahead.

4- Make sweet corn sundal: 
Many Hindus eat only vegetarian foods during Navratri; often a different sundal (dry legume dish) each night. 

Tonight I plan to make Sweet Corn Sundal.


Ingredients:
  • 2 c. frozen sweet corn
  • 1-2 green chilies
  • 1 small carrot
  • 2 Tbsp. oil
  • 1/2 tsp. mustard seeds
  • 1/4 c. grated coconut
  • salt to taste
1- Steam the corn in water according to the package instructions, then drain and set aside.

2- Finely chop chilies and carrot.

3- Heat oil in a wok or frying pan; add mustard seeds and stir until they start to pop, then add chilies and carrots and sauté for a minute.


4- Add the cooked corn, salt to taste, and coconut. Stir and sauté for 2 minutes until all is combined. Serve hot or warm.

5- Evening visualization and prayer:
I end each day of Navratri with a prayer. For these next three nights I honor the constructive aspect of the Mother. 

Laksmi is a beautiful golden woman with four arms, sitting on a fully bloomed lotus and holding a lotus bud. Cascades of gold coins flow from her hands, and she wears gold embroidered red clothes, indicating her offering of prosperity. Lakshmi brings the growth and unfolding of whatever is life-enhancing. 

I picture this Mother spirit sitting on the blossom of my heart, gently opening it to accept love and happiness into my life.


“Thank you, Great Spirit, for providing energy for the earth to move around the sun, and for maintaining the correct balance of the universe. You are the earth. You nourish support, protect, and mother all creatures, all beings. I ask you to help me to develop and maintain patience, forgiveness, compassion, loving-kindness, and integrity. Give me the persistence to succeed at my goals, and bless me with abundant health and happiness.

6- Lakshmi Mantra:
I continue to focus on my image of Lakshmi and chant-
  • Om - the primordial sound 
  • Shreem -  from which beauty and feminine energy emanates
  • Ma-ha - great
  • Lak-shma-yai - goddess of wealth
  • Na-ma-ha - I pray.
(You might want to chant along with someone who knows how. Many YouTube versions exist, and my favorite is here.)

No comments:

Post a Comment