July 9, 2021

Lotus New Moon

The Chinese call the sixth new moon the Lotus Moon. The lotus is the "flower of open-heartedness", an emblem of purity, fruitfulness (because of its many seeds) and creative power. And since lotus leaves protect the goldfish under them, the lotus also symbolizes abundance year after year. 
Detail from "Connect", acrylic
A lotus flower grows out of the mud, and blossoms above the muddy water surface; Buddhists teach that, like a lotus, we can rise above the suffering and conflicts of life. The Lotus Moon, then, is the natural time to sink into the mud of my life, and seek out the best ways to grow above the fray.

The new moon is the start of the lunar cycle, a time of high energy and clear thinking. Historically, the new moon is when women took time to be alone; it's a time to retreat, set intentions, and initiate something new.

Agenda for today:
1. Journal queries
2. Retreat Day
3. Pick a theme
4. Goals and intentions
5. New moon altar
6. Lotus meditation

1. Journal Queries:
Do I keep my word, follow through with my responsibilities, speak truth, and show loyalty? What can I improve?
What discouragements, difficulties, and dysfunctions are holding me down?
How can I best grow above the "mud" of my life?
How can I find the passion to be persistent?

2. Retreat Day:
If at all possible, I schedule a day of retreat on the new moon, or near to it: I do less talking, less business, and more personal thought and action. I'm looking forward to a day of retreat to write, pull weeds, and paint on Saturday.

3. Pick a theme:
Today I choose integrity as my theme for the next month, and begin to give attention to it. Integrity is the quality of being whole and undivided, and acting promptly on my beliefs. When I am honest and loyal, my integrity lights the dark places of life, and like the farmer, I know that the Light brings my harvest. 

This month I'll think about how to improve my level of honesty and loyalty, raise energy for responsible action, increase my self-confidence and self-respect, and also think about how to get more recognition for the work I do. 
    My integrity practices this month are:
    1. Finish things I start - the book I'm writing, some new paintings, my Loving Earth panel...
    2. End of Life preparations - forms and simplification.
    3. Testify to a life of simplicity and integrity, with teaching and writing.
    4. Get a better handle on my budget and finances, and confront my "number phobia".

    4. Goals and intentions:
    I have a two-fold task today: Plan some new goals, and set some intentions for the days ahead. Though lots of writers use these terms interchangeably, I am clear about the differences:

    Goals are a plan for the future that help us stay on track with who we are becoming. 

    Intentions are a pledge for action in the present; they remind us of who we are now, and our deepest, most essential, most passionate reasons for living. I write my intentions in present tense, and I use this model: action deepest reason.
    After I list my top 10 goals for the next 30 days, I'm ready to set some intentions for action. This is a very time-consuming but important process. I'm going to choose a few to write today - those I might act on today - then work on a few more each day this week.

    I intend to plan and lead eye and heart-opening interest groups on the Loving Earth Project because this combines my strengths (craftivism and teaching) and my passion for climate action.


    I intend to confront my number phobia and get clearer about my budget and finances, because having greater awareness and integrity with my money will help me to speak truthfully and be a force for equity.

      5. New moon altar:
      It's time to discern what to put on my altar for the next 30 days or so. (For my thoughts on altars see About Altars). I generally keep it simple and choose only things that speak to me and feed me, and reveal what I believe in. I ask, what quality of Spirit do I want to invoke?
      From last month I will keep:
      • a sun - for clarity and yang energy
      Today I add-
      • a red candle, for fire, passion, and integrity.
      • a soapstone dog, for vigilance, and to remind me to stay loyal to my pack.
      • a mud ball, to remind me to rise above the suffering and conflicts of life.
      6. Lotus meditation:
      The Buddhist term bodhicitta means ‘completely open heart and mind’. I work always at developing bodhicitta, towards a flexible and open way of thinking and feeling- not based on certainty and security, but on really connecting with the honest, dynamic energy of everything I encounter. This meditation is a practice to help me to open my heart:
      Light a small white candle. 

      Center, and feel myself fill with thankfulness for all I have now in my life.

      Gradually bring my awareness to the center of my chest. Visualize a lotus flower in place of my heart. The flower gently opens its petals a bit more with each inhalation. And as I exhale, I rest inside the lotus flower, feeling my love gradually expand to fill the room, then the house, the city, country, and universe.

      No comments:

      Post a Comment