July 17, 2021

First Quarter Moon of Mid-July

At the First Quarter Moon we are one-quarter of the way through the moon cycle. The moon is waxing - getting larger - until it's full again. Now is the time to remain flexible, use my obstacles as fuel for growth, and show full effort for priorities.

Agenda:
1. Journal queries:
Today, at the first quarter moon, I prepare to give full effort to my priorities. 
Which of my priorities am I having the most trouble acting on this month?
What potential challenges and obstacles do I face this week and month (things I don’t enjoy, don’t know how to do, or feel blocked on)? How can I best meet these challenges?
How will I find the inspiration that will spark full effort for my priorities, every day, over and over? 

I will certainly face obstacles. Today I feel my greatest obstacles are lack of confidence, inflexibility, and procrastination. I can use my obstacles as fuel for growth- 
  • The challenge to persistence is lethargy and procrastination; practice taking one step at a time.
  • The challenge to confidence is fear. Practice equanimity.
  • The challenge to flexibility is rigidity; practice giving in, and being willing to help others.
2. Make a full effort plan: 
Full effort (sometimes called exertion) is one of the steps of mental discipline on Buddha’s eightfold path. Buddha was urging full effort for awakening the mind; a first step is to practice full effort for whatever is most important in your life right now - for your priorities. Full effort requires attention (remembering what it is you want to do and your deepest reasons why), a spark of energy and determination (connecting to your excitement for life each day and each moment, and sustaining it long enough to accomplish your priorities), and balance (holding your intentions lightly in the complexity of life). 

No comments:

Post a Comment