September 6, 2021

Rosh Hashanah

Tonight is the first evening of Rosh Hashanah (Roash hah-shah-nuh), which falls at or near the new moon of late September or early October. The observance begins at sundown tonight and lasts for two days, but it's actually the start of a ten-day period called the Days of Awe that ends with Yom Kippur.

Rosh Hashanah means “Head of the Year”; it’s the Jewish New Year for the Spirit. The focus of this festival is repentance for wrongs you have done, and reaffirmation that you will take the honorable path in the future.


Agenda for today:

1. Journal queries
2.  Make challah
3. Share a Seder

1. Journal queries:
At Rosh Hashanah I turn my thoughts inward to consider how I might be a better person in the year ahead. I ask myself--
Am I living my life, each day, in a way that leads me towards my mission?
Am I enjoying the journey on that path?
Do I feel honorable and contented?
What could I do better?
2. Make challah:
It's traditional to eat three foods on Rosh Hashanah: Honey for a sweet year, round apples, and round challah for a solid round year.

It's sometimes hard to find a round loaf of challah in a bakery, so I usually make my own.

Ingredients:
  • 2 packets of yeast
  • 3 Tbsp. sugar
  • 2 egg yolks (reserve the whites)
  • 1/3 c. oil
  • 1/3 c. honey
  • 1 Tbsp. salt
  • 6-1/2 to 7 c. white flour
  • sesame seeds
Makes 2 loaves
1. Dissolve the yeast with the sugar in 1 c. of warm water right in the bowl of a Kitchen Aid mixer. Let it sit for 10-15 minutes, until bubbly.






2. Meanwhile, combine the egg yolks, oil, honey, and salt with 1 c. water.



3. When the yeast is ready, add flour, alternating with the wet ingredients. 








Just keep adding flour until all the dough comes together in a ball and doesn't stick to the sides or bottom. The dough should be soft and a little sticky. 





4. Place the dough in a very well oiled bowl, covered with a damp cloth and leave it to rise for an hour in a warm area. Punch it down and let it rise again, for maybe another 1/2 hour.

5. Divide the dough in half. I made one simple round loaf to use tonight, and one braided loaf to use later. Put the loaves on oiled pans, brush with the reserved egg whites, thinned with  a little water, and sprinkle with sesame seeds.

6. Let the loaves rise for half an hour . Preheat your oven to 365ºF. Bake for 25-30 minutes.

3. Share a Seder:
My family will have a small Seder. We light candles, and say these prayers-
Barukh attah Adonai, Eloheinu, melekh ha'olam, ha-motzi lechem min ha-aretz.
Blessed art Thou, oh God, Who brings forth bread from the earth.

We take a bite of the challah (dipped in honey), then continue with the following:

Barukh attah Adonai eloheinu melekh ha-olam, Borei peri ha-eitz.
Blessed art Thou, oh God, Creator of the fruit of the trees.

We take a bite from the apple (dipped in honey), then finish with:

Shana towva umetuka!
May the year be good and sweet!

1 comment:

  1. This is impressive. The devotion through food and spirit is inspiring!

    ReplyDelete