September 2, 2021

Waning Crescent Moon of September

This waning crescent moon
 is the final phase of the Hungry Ghost Moon cycle. The next new moon, in four days, will be the Harvest Moon cycle. At the new moon I'll set my intentions for the month ahead.

But right now, at the waning crescent, it's time to evaluate and brainstorm, find purpose, and surrender. I'll open to curiosity and attention, contemplate what I might want in the 30 days ahead, and rest up for the move back into yang-action modeThese next few days are a chance to look back and look forward, and think about the big picture of my life.

Agenda:
1. Evaluation and Inspiration House
2. Review my purpose
3. Review my priorities
4. Surrender, rest, recuperate

1. 
Evaluation and Inspiration House:
Today I get to reflect back on the whole lunar cycle that I've just passed through. I will review the intentions I set at the start of the cycle and draw a house with 4 rooms: 
  • A room for things I have accomplished and completed.
  • A room for things I will finish in the next couple days.
  • A room for the things I have released because they became irrelevant or didn't go as planned.
  • A room for things I will save for the next month.
In that last room I will brainstorm and add new ideas for actions, projects, studies, and plans for the next month.

2. Review my purpose:
My purpose is to love and serve my family and my community (learning greater equanimity and compassion); lead a simple life of integrity (caring for the earth and working to become anti-racist); and be a creative force in the world (expressing myself with my writing, art, and actions).
3. Review my priorities:
I have lots of things in lots of categories that I do every day, but which of those are priorities now in my life? I only have so much time each day, so I hope to give priority to the activities and people that matter most to me right now. 

My priorities are fluid; they change with the seasons and with my responsibilities. I like to review them monthly, before the new moon. Today ask myself:
-Which of my priorities have gotten the least attention this last month and why? 
-What seasonal focus and upcoming events are priorities now?
-What are my important responsibilities this month?
-What upcoming activities give me the biggest rewards?
-What would I do this month if I knew I only had 6 months to live?
-What activities best support my beliefs and values?
-Where do my strengths lie?

    

After some thought, this is my slate of priorities: 
Painting with a truck is serious work.
  • Play and Adventure is a new priority: I'm having fun with longer walks to explore the town with my grandson, and spontaneous art play.
  • Creativity is my writing, arts, and crafts: I've been stepping it up and want to keep the momentum going!
  • Health is exercise, eating right, etc: I'm losing weight.
  • Heart is friends and family: I'm retreating into my shell.
  • Service is my committees and activism: I've got a good mix and good energy.
  • Learning is all the topics I'm studying: I'm happy with the books I'm studying now, and will finish them, then re-evaluate.
  • Home is all the tasks I do to create sanctuary in my home: My focus now is gardening, clearing extra junk, and outdoor painting.
  • Clean up after painting.
    Career is my teaching and work tasks: I need to get clear on how much work I need and want as I move into retirement.

4. Surrender, rest, recuperate: 
This next few days is a time to be empty; the time for striving is past. As the moon’s light fades into darkness I get to relax and surrender to the universe. 

Some things will always be out of my control. As the moon's appearance dwindles, I let go of useless beliefs, unreasonable expectations, grudges, defensiveness, projects that don't fit into my life, and anything else that isn't working for me. I turn these all over to the Divine and give thanks, my way of opening to receive new intentions in the new month.

Then I give myself permission to rest! 

No comments:

Post a Comment