July 22, 2024

A Week of Virtue

Virtue is ethical behavior. It encompasses a wide array of very nice things like honesty, compassion, temperance, and so on. I think I'm mostly a good person, but I'd like to be better... I disappoint myself all the time.

A few years ago, I made virtue my theme for the whole year, and it was great! I've decided to make it the theme for this week to see how I might improve my virtuousness this summer.

When I first researched this, I ran across Ben Franklin's system for virtue improvement. Ben devised a small chart that he carried with himself, to record his behavior day-to-day in 13 areas. If you do a Google search you will see that MANY people are interested in Ben's system! You can buy journals and download charts if you want, but I knew I wouldn't be happy unless I personalized mine.

Agenda:
1. Create a virtue chart
2. Daily review
3. Practice optimism
4. Read "It's a Meaningful Life"

1. Create a virtue chart:
I've got four virtues on my list for this week - the things I feel the biggest need to work on. I've put the definition of each virtue in my own words. Here's what I've got so far:

1. Optimism.
Maintain a hopeful outlook, and expect that good things will happen in my life. Visualize what I want, rather than worrying about what I fear. Nurture a positive view of myself: have confidence in my ability to solve problems and trust my instincts.
 
2. Kindness.
Be patient and calm. Give attention to those I love. Listen to understand. Be humble and don't preach. Think before speaking, and avoid petty or mean conversation. 
 
3. Simplicity.
Let all my things have their place, and all parts of my life have their time. Regulate my urge to create chaos around me: Take care with my tools, put things away where they belong, and simplify the details I have to deal with.
 
4. Tenacity.
Be persistent, energetic, and happy to do the work to make my dreams come true. Don't bow to whims or temptations. Maintain self-care & housework. Finish priorities. Have the courage of my convictions.
 
 2. Daily review:
Each morning I think back on the day before and evaluate myself. Ben used a dot to indicate success. I use a smiley face. Also, I use a black line when I know I blew it.

I don't spend a lot of time on this- it's easy to think back and say, "Oh yeah. I felt pretty worried about the election (black line). But I completed almost all of my priorities (smile)!


3. Read "It's a Meaningful Life": 
I've been re-reading "It's a Meaningful Life; It Just Takes Practice," by Bo Lozoff (2000). Chapter 12 is Chicken Little Was Right

"The basics of a decent, civilized life are timeless: get up in the morning, take reasonable care of your body, mind, and soul; do some kind of work that benefits the world instead harms it; respect and cherish other people; and then get some sleep."

Bo says that all our problems can be summed up as: Human life is very deep, and our dominant modern lifestyle is not. We've "lost the core of simple joy that makes it all worthwhile." 

He suggests we take time to appreciate all that we have and all that we know; take the to smile, and enjoy the moment. And remember to share this joy with our children, so they understand that life is good. Share with them a depth of contentment, equanimity, and gracefulness.

4. Practice optimism:
I struggle these days with remaining optimistic. I would like to expect the best from each day, sustain cheerfulness, and have a clear vision of a healthy planet and society that overrules my worries.Optimism is connected to hope-- and when you begin to work on climate change it's best to surround yourself with people who have hope. I KNOW we are way past the point of an easy solution, but it doesn't help to sink into despair! I choose to believe that we will survive (or at least the earth will survive), and that part of the miracle we need is the hope and optimism of climate activists.Optimism is a virtue of transcendence- it creates meaning and connections. Some ideas:
  1. Be mindful and aware of when I start to focus on negativity; attempt to disengage and not become overpowered by gloominess and cynicism.
  2. Give generous attention to when a good thing happens, and keep it foremost in my awareness for half a minute, so it sinks into my deeper consciousness.
  3. Visualize the best possible future for the planet and society, in as much detail as possible (but keep it realistic). Focus on it, speak it aloud, and write about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment