July 21, 2024

Full Thunder Moon and Asalha Puja

The full moon of July is called ameku, the mid-summer moon, by the Kalapuya of our area, and the thunder moon by others. July days have the humming energy of a summer storm (and we had a long, slow thunder storm all through this last night!) It's a month of passion and activity: I'm challenged to find integrity in my actions and expand into my Truth.

The sun is at the peak of its power, lighting all corners with its radiance, and burning away all non-essentials. We are now at the peak of the strong-energy yang phase of the waxing moon, and will soon begin the quiet-energy yin time of the waning moon.

Today is also Asalha Puja, a Theravada Buddhist festival that takes place on the full moon of July. Asalha Puja celebrates the Buddha's first sermon, in which he set out the teaching of the four noble truths. The day is observed by donating offerings to temples and listening to sermons.

Agenda: 

1. Take a vision walk
2. Study the Four Noble Truths
3. Read Writing and Being
4. Celebrate integrity


1. Take a vision walk:
The full moon shines a bright light on everything, and I might experience intuitive and creative breakthroughs. I might be shocked by the clarity of my insights. I might see some ugliness - the full moon illuminates all the things I've left in the shadows, some heavy truths and some embarrassing mistakes.

Today I'm going to settle in to silence and access my intuitive mind - my connection to the Creator and the Inner Guide -  and seek a leading of the spirit with an open mind and heart.

Today I call on the Spirit of Light to guide me, bring me clarity and open my eyes. What is the Truth that is coming into focus for me now?
 
What is bringing passion and expansion in my life now?

What do I need the clarity of the fire to illuminate?

What is my process for discerning my "Truth"? How do I keep these priorities central in my daily actions?

How am I challenged now to "speak truth to power"?

In what shape is my self-respect?

 
2. Study the Four Nobel Truths:
The Four Nobel Truths are: 
  • There is suffering
  • suffering is caused by craving
  • there is a state beyond suffering and craving; 
  • and the way to nirvana is via the eightfold path
3. Read Writing and Being:
I'm reading from a book that has been sitting my shelf for a few years, "Writing and Being: Embracing Your Life Through Creative Journaling," by G. Lynn Nelson (2004).

I'm into chapter five: Centering in the Self. The author asks who is the self that writes about my self, beyond my roles and my ego? "When I am writing in my journal, I am not even aware that this watching process is happening but the act of writing nevertheless moves me out of the small self I am writing about and into the "I" that watches, the "I" that is my center..."

Last week's exploration was to write a dialogue between one of my "small self" identities and my Central Self; this week I'm to write how-to instructions for some issue or process in my life.

From my journal: How to Renew Myself-
  1. Get clear: Start the day by writing some brief plans and ideas in my journal, and list out my priorities for the day.
  2. Read a book or article that gives me something to think about.
  3. Write something that expresses my thoughts and ideas.
  4. Give attention to the natural world and to my place in it, and show my appreciation with my care.
  5. Take care of basic hygiene: Brush my teeth and hair!
  6. Do some stretches.
  7. Eat and drink well- some vegetables and whole grains, and at least 3 full glasses of water each day.
  8. Attend to my relationships: listening to understand, keeping commitments, & sincerely apologizing when necessary.
  9. Artwork: Take small steps each day to express myself with creativity.
If I do most of these things each day, I will end the day feeling fulfilled, calm, and comfortable in body and soul.

4. Celebrate integrity:
My theme 
​this month ​is Integrity, and the call to Truth. 
Today I remind myself of my intentions for the month, and then celebrate how far I've come. I give thanks for the lessons learned and the blessings received, and reaffirm this theme for the next two weeks. Each month I choose a different way to celebrate the full moon, and today I am ready to celebrate integrity in these ways:
  1. Writing a birthday card for my mother.
  2. Clearing everything off the studio cabinet and putting it back with order and care.
  3. Planting crocosmia with attention to each bulb.
  4. Finishing a butterfly painting project.

No comments:

Post a Comment