July 5, 2024

New Lotus Moon (for Integrity)

The sixth new moon is know as the Lotus Moon by the Chinese. The lotus is the "flower of open-heartedness", an emblem of purity, fruitfulness (because of its many seeds) and creative power. And since lotus leaves protect the goldfish under them (a symbol of prosperity), the lotus also symbolizes abundance year after year. 
Detail from "Connect", acrylic
A lotus flower grows out of the mud, and blossoms above the muddy water surface. Buddhists teach that, like a lotus, we can rise above the suffering and conflicts of life. The Lotus Moon, then, is the natural time to dig into the mud of my life, and seek out the best ways to grow above the fray.

Agenda:
1. Retreat Day
2. Read "It's a Meaningful Life"
3. Choose a month theme
4. Set intentions
5. New moon altar

1. Retreat Day
The new moon is the start of the lunar cycle, a time of high energy and clear thinking. Historically, the new moon is when women took time to be alone; it's a time to retreat, set intentions, and initiate something new. 

If at all possible, I schedule a day of retreat on the new moon, or near to it, and so today I will take time be quiet in my garden, and work art in my studio.

2. Read "It's a Meaningful Life": 
I've been re-reading "It's a Meaningful Life; It Just Takes Practice," by Bo Lozoff (2000). Chapter 12 is Chicken Little Was Right

"I do not think you are imagining things. Forget the future for a moment--the decency of our civilization has already collapsed in many ways." 

This was written 24 years ago, and now it is not at all a controversial statement - we (mostly) all acknowledge that lying politicians, school shootings, skewed prison systems, climate change, and rampant homelessness are a fact of our life. The dystopian future is now, and Bo suggests that we look to restore decency in the present world.

"The deep wonderful secrets life, the mysterious presence of the Divine, the joy of cherishing each other, the beauty of nature, the satisfaction of helping out--all exist right here, today, in our everyday life. ... The basics of a decent, civilized life are timeless: get up in the morning, take reasonable care of your body, mind, and soul; do some kind of work that benefits the world instead harms it; respect and cherish other people; and then get some sleep.

3. Choose a month theme:
Today I choose integrity as my theme for the next month, and begin to give attention to it. Integrity is the quality of being whole and undivided, and acting promptly on my beliefs. My integrity builds my reputation with others and also cultivates my self-respect.

One way I frame integrity is with the Chinese concept of Li, which means clinging fire. The image is of the fire embracing the wood, and the sun embracing the heaven; that which gives light is dependent on something dark to give it shape and contrast. Fire represents expansion, ideas, and clarity; like the farmer, I acknowledge that the Light brings my harvest.

Goals for integrity might be to discern my Truth and then act on it, to speak truth to power, to increase my reliability, to improve my reputation with others, or somehow boost my self-confidence and self-respect. 
    My integrity practices this month are:
    1. Discipline Cycle reading and journal: Explore the why's and how's of my integrity.
    2. "Take Care" Mantra: Go slow, be present, listen well, gather all the threads and tie them off before moving on.
    3. Finish things I've started - collage painting, anti-semitism reading, garden care, cleaning windows.
    4. Chakra movement exercises.
    4. Set intentions:
    Last week I brainstormed some wild and crazy ideas for the next 30 days, and today it's time to narrow it down a little, to the priority items that I could possibly focus on this next month - not a list of the practical things I need to do this month; rather my top actions, studies, and growth goals that fit with the "taste" of this month of my life.

    After I list my top goals for the next 30 days, I'm ready to set some intentions for action. I chose a few to write today - those I might act on today - then I'll work on a few more each day this week.

    I intend to Take Good Care of our garden spaces and the wildlife that uses it, listen to the earth, and cultivate a real relationship with nature, because finding unity and connection with Creation will bring vitality, peace, and purpose to my climate justice work, my art work, and my teaching and writing.

    I intend to finish some of the things I've started this month (and fall in love with the process of finishing), because my brilliant ideas won’t have any impact on the world unless I put them into form.

    I feel ready now for a week that promises to be full of summer activity; I'll make an effort to bring a balance of restorative yin energy to my life: Slow down, rest well, drink more water, and practice ‘discipline of purpose’.
      5. New moon altar and Lotus Meditation:
      It's time to discern what to put on my altar for the next 30 days or so. (For my thoughts on altars see About Altars). I generally keep it simple and choose only things that speak to me and feed me, and reveal what I believe in. I ask,
       what quality of Spirit do I want to invoke?

      From last month I will keep:
      • a sun - for clarity and yang energy
      Today I add-
      • a red candle - for fire, passion, and integrity.
      • a soapstone dog - for vigilance, and to remind me to stay loyal to my pack.
      • a mud ball - to remind me to rise above the suffering and conflicts of life.

      No comments:

      Post a Comment