July 14, 2024

First Quarter Moon of July

The first quarter moon was a couple days ago; we are one-quarter of the way through the moon cycle. The moon is waxing - growing in light and energy, creating a time for decisive action. 

I use this July quarter moon's energy to help me to discern my Truth and then act on it; this requires some discipline.

The ancient Stoic philosophers used discipline as a tool in their journey towards a life lived well. Epictetus listed three disciplines: Amor Fati, or the loving acceptance of one’s fate, which was for living in harmony with the nature of the universe as a whole; HormĂȘ, or the impulse to ethical action, for living in harmony with humans; and Sunkatathesis, which is mindfulness, for living in harmony with our own essential nature, with reason and truthfulness in both thoughts and speech.

I long for better discipline - to give me stability and structure, and help me to be responsible; to allow me to keep promises to myself and to others, and maintain the integrity and self-control that I want; to empower me to grow and reach my dreams. But I also hope that this growth in discipline might lead to a transcendent state where I no longer rely on discipline because I love and understand myself enough to follow the right path naturally!

Agenda Today:
1. Journal queries
2. Read "Writing and Being"
3. Make a full effort plan

1. Journal queries:
At the first quarter moon I prepare to give full effort to my priorities. 
I remember that for each opportunity in life there is a challenge. The challenge to integrity is ignorance and lethargy. If I'm uninformed, I cannot be truly conscious, and if I delay, I'm not acting in the now. Practice seeing clearly and taking one step at a time.
What potential challenges, restrictions, limitations, and obstacles do I face this week and monthHow can I best meet these challenges?
Where do I need to shine the light of Truth? 
How can I find the passion to be persistent? 

From my journal: Generally, I'm doing better at flowing through my days, spending focused time on my priorities - maybe our grandchildren are getting easier to care for? Or maybe I'm planning my days better. This week I'm shining the light of Truth on Quakers and antisemitism, and on my complicity in forest degradation.

2. Read "Writing and Being":
I'm reading from a book that has been sitting my shelf for a few years, "Writing and Being: Embracing Your Life Through Creative Journaling," by G. Lynn Nelson (2004).

I'm into chapter five: Centering in the Self. 
The author asks who is the self that writes about my self, beyond my roles and my ego? "When I am writing in my journal, I am not even aware that this watching process is happening but the act of writing nevertheless moves me out of the small self I am writing about and into the "I" that watches, the "I" that is my center..."

This week's exploration is to write a dialogue between one of my "small self" identities and my Central Self, letting the small self tell what her problem is.

From my journal: 
Artist self: I'm feeling frustrated with my artwork. It doesn't inspire me to work - I just keep putting it off.
Central Self: Oh, that doesn't sound like a new problem. Haven't you always struggled with lethargy and low self-esteem around your art?
Artist self: Yes, that's true, but what can I do about it?
Central Self: Be gentle with yourself, but be persistent - one step at a time. Also, double check that your idea is one you really want to pursue: Is it new and important and challenging? 
Artist self: It is. 
Central Self: You don't sound happy about that! Challenging is good. A challenging project will eventually pique your interest enough to take you past lethargy and into excitement. Just keep taking the next little step, day after day, and you will meet the downhill slope eventually.

3. Make a full effort plan:
I'm thinking today about full effort as an artist. Full effort requires attention; you remember your intentions - what it is you want to do and your deepest reasons why - and also notice your emotions, energy, challenges, etc.

I intend to work daily on challenging Earth Art projects: Collage, painting, craftivism, and other creative hands-on projects with an earth-care focus, because making things is a prayer and one way I express my Unity with the Earth, and challenging projects will eventually pique my interest enough to take me past lethargy and into excitement. I intend to just keep taking the next little step, day after day, and meet the downhill slope eventually. I intend to work with attention and tenacity on many creative projects and finish things I start. 

Some of my little steps:

  • Add fortunes and sticks to my ‘Fierce Chickadees” collage;
  • Prepare fortunes, leaves, stars for my “Sun” collage, and design format of images; 
  • Paint butterflies on the bathroom wall, and draw one or two more; 
  • Design an informative Native Garden sign for my front yard; plan words and image
  • Find a board, sand, and prime.
  • Add color to Godzilla helmet, and seal.
  • Visualize the essence of forest.
  • Research Good Fortune for Forests, and my complicity;
  • Paint underpainting for Good Fortune for Forests collage.

No comments:

Post a Comment