May 20, 2024

First Things First

My themes in May are Synergy and Simplicity.
I've decided to take time each Monday to set myself some goals, and this week I'm focusing on simple, synergistic time. 

Stephen Covey says, "For most people, the large majority of waking time is spent communicating or interacting with other people - or dealing with the result of poor communication or interaction. Effective interdependence is core to the issue of time management." 

This week I want to get a better handle on how to communicate in the moment with love and flexibility - and stop wasting so much time dealing with the fallout of my poor communication.

Agenda:
1. Read "First Things First"
2. Synergy plan
3. Simplify the studio

1. Read "First Things First":
I'm reviewing this book by Stephen Covey (1994) that was pivotal in my growth. I skimmed the first chapters, but it's section 3: The Synergy of Interdependence, that I really need to look carefully at.

He begins with the statement that interdependence is not transactional, but rather transformational: He talks about the "serendipitous potential of creating synergistic third alternatives". He mentions the richness of relationships, the adventure of discovery, the fulfillment of putting people first, and the joy of creating something together. (He doesn't call it Unity, but he might as well be talking about Quaker process.)

The first step is to look at all my priorities through the lens of interdependence, and ask:
  • How can I balance need for efficiency with time spent to empower someone else?
  • How can I release my need to supervise so others can govern themselves?
  • How can I better clarify expectations up front, to prevent problems and conflicts from occurring? 
  • How can I build relationships that encourage the communication needed for efficient teamwork?
(Right after reading the section above, I had to write an addendum to an email I sent yesterday that was sent in frustration, and expressed urgency and inflexibility on my part ... many of my communications would benefit from waiting a day, and considering my relationships.)

2. Team synergy plan:
This week I have two clerking teams to facilitate: A meeting today with my new apprentice co-clerk, and a meeting on Thursday with our support committee. My plan is to: 
  1. Be prepared - have an agenda, and all the information I need, and understand my role in the group process (who am I supporting and why?)
  2. Work at clarity - Take time to meditate on my relationships with each person on my teams, and my expectations and needs. Ask myself the questions above and make notes.
  3. Practice stoic inquiry - ask myself in the moment - how I am choosing to think, feel, and act (am I choosing to expand or contract, give or take, contribute or pullback, appreciate or criticize?)
And of course I can apply this plan and these queries to my team of grandparents and grandchildren as well!

3. Simplify the studio:
This week I'm scheduling daily time to organize my studio. I would love to have shelves that are less tightly packed, and clear counter and table space. May simplicity is not only about less clutter; it's my goal to have order, to have a home for each thing, and put it back there every day. 
 
My plan is to completely empty one or two boxes or shelves each day, and put back only what I need. Also, find new, creative ways to store my stuff so it looks tidy and is easy to put away.

No comments:

Post a Comment