May 23, 2024

Full Flower Moon and Wesak

Today is the full moon called atantal, the "camas blooming time", by the Kalapuya of our area, and the Flower Moon by others, because - well - May flowers!

The flowers in my garden are a delicate reminder to me to project a gentle, honest spirit (less cactus, more columbine).

We are now at the peak of the strong-energy yang phase of the waxing moon, and will soon begin the shift to the quiet-energy yin time of the waning moon.

Today is also Wesak (pronounced way-sak). The full moon in May is the day that Buddhists honor the birth of Gautama Buddha in Lumbini, Nepal, in 623 BCE, and also honor his enlightenment and death. Buddhists all over the world celebrate this day by pausing to remember the Buddha's virtues, expressing their gratitude and appreciation for his teachings, and by finding ways to be more Buddha-like.

Agenda Today: 
1. Take a vision walk
2. Celebrate synergy
3. Read "First Things First'
4. Find ways to be more Buddha-like
5. Make a lantern
6. Cook Hath Maaluwa (Seven Vegetables Curry)

1. Take a vision walk:
The full moon shines a bright light on everything, and I might experience intuitive and creative breakthroughs. I might be shocked by the clarity of my insights. I might see some ugliness - the full moon illuminates all the things I've left in the shadows, some heavy truths and some embarrassing mistakes.

Today I call on the Spirit of Light to guide me, bring me clarity and open my eyes. What is the Truth that is coming into focus for me now? 

What teams am I playing on, and what are my roles? How do I play to my strengths? 

What is the right action I am taking, and towards what "better end"? Do I have faith that things will change for the better?

Where do I need inspiration or a helping hand? Who are the angels in my life?

What is the unity I'm seeking? What is my experience with flexibility?

2. Celebrate synergy:
My theme this month is synergy - the ability to seek unity, embrace teamwork, live holistically, and work tirelessly towards a better end. Synergy is the eternally active primal force of creation: No matter what the conditions are, they will change. You create synergy in your life when you make the effort to see clearly, stay open-minded, and take persistent right action. Synergy will allow you to experience the people in your life as angels, and the places you live, work, and play as paradise.

Today I remind myself of my intentions for the month, and then celebrate how far I've come, give thanks for the lessons learned and the blessings received, and reaffirm this theme for the next two weeks. Each month I choose a different way to celebrate the full moon, and I am ready to celebrate synergy today in these ways:
  1. Write wrap-up notes for the committee I'm going off of!
  2. Make a plan for synergy with the meeting I'm in tonight.
  3. Work together with my Garden Partner to set up hoses
3. Read "First Things First":
I'm reviewing this book by Stephen Covey (1994) that was pivotal in my growth. I skimmed the first chapters, but it's section 3: The Synergy of Interdependence, that I really need to look carefully at.

He talks at length about the Interdependent Paradigm (as opposed to the independence we learn in our society). Some of the implications are that- 
  • Our private behavior affects all our public behavior - if we don't do the individual work to have a deep inner integrity, then our public work will suffer.
  • Life is all one indivisible whole, and if we are not living with integrity in one part of our life, it will affect all other parts.
  • Trust grows out of trustworthiness - if we talk trash behind people's backs, then those we are talking to will not trust us.
4. Find ways to be more Buddha-like:
Little Buddha, May 2022
Buddhists celebrate Wesak by finding ways to be more Buddha-like: By practicing meditation, visiting monasteries, listening to sermons from venerable monks and nuns, serving free vegetarian meals to poor people, making donations to charities, and distributing gifts.

Today I will do a weed-pulling meditation.

5. Make a lantern:
Many Buddhists in Asia decorate their homes for Wesak with flags and elaborate lanterns. One year I made a tissue paper lantern called an atapattama. They are usually made out of thin pieces of bamboo, but I found a good video demonstration on YouTube showing a simple wire technique. (look here for how to make my Wesak lantern above, and from another year, look here.)

6. Cook Hath Maaluwa (Seven Vegetables Curry):
Buddhists all over the world refrain from eating meat on this day, and serve vegetarian meals to poor people. 

This tasty vegetarian curry is from Sri Lanka; you can use any seven vegetables that are in season in your area. The recipe is here.

No comments:

Post a Comment