May 30, 2024

Third Quarter Moon of May

Photo by Alan Gillespie
Today is the Third Quarter Moon: This waning moon energy is yin - quiet, internal, heart-driven, intentional Being-nessAt this phase we can ease off a bit on actively pursuing goals, slow down, go within, and attend to inner work and self-care.


Agenda today:
1. Read "First Things First"
2. Renewal plan
3. Evaluation House
4. Monthly journal brainstorm
5. Surrender, rest, recuperate

1. Read "First Things First":
I'm reviewing this book by Stephen Covey (1994) that was pivotal in my growth. I skimmed the first chapters, but it's section 3: The Synergy of Interdependence, that I really need to look carefully at. He goes into depth about building relationships, creating a shared vision, and clarifying expectations - all things I need help with.

Chapter 12 is First Things First Together, and it's about the win-win process. As I re-read this chapter I am amazed again how often I filter things through a right or wrong lens, and feel I need to set people straight (because I have the definitive answer). But I'm missing the point. If I can listen better (with humility), let the moment bloom, share my thoughts respectfully, and develop a relationship instead of making a point, we will both be winners.

For example, when my Grandson is kicking me, and I yell at him, I do make him stop, but I'm not really winning anything, but rather losing one more thread of our precious connection. What if I grab a pillow, let him kick, and breathe through it? What needs is he meeting - showing his frustration, having some control, releasing tension? I would rather build a relationship with him than make a point that kicking hurts me.

That's a rather physical example of all my relationships! I don't really want to understand why they are kicking me- I just want them to stop. 

2. Renewal plan:
I try to renew all four dimensions of my life (body, mind, heart, and spirit), as Stephen Covey taught: I spend about an hour each day on a combination of physical, mental, and spiritual regeneration activities, plus work to improve my social skills and relationships. Today's waning half moon is my opportunity to review how I'm doing, and make note of new ideas for the month ahead.

From my journal: The two areas I want to bring attention to this month are renewing my art practice (as in a daily art ritual and awareness), and daily work on listening and responding to people - remember daily that when I am able to soften, be calm, listen, and give people the room they need to settle and unruffled their feathers, transformation is possible. 

3. Evaluation House:
Today I get to reflect back on the first 3/4 of the Peony Moon lunar cycle that I'm passing through. My theme has been synergy and teamwork. 

I reviewed the intentions I set at the new moon and drew a house with 2 rooms: 
  • A room for celebration of all I have accomplished already this month.
  • A room for discerning what to do with the unfinished parts (Some of these I will finish in the next couple days, some I will save for next month, and some I will release because they have become irrelevant or didn't go as planned.)
4. Monthly journal brainstorm:
At the new moon (next week) I will transition from one focus to another, and a whole new field of opportunity. This week I'll take time to write down my goals, dreams, and exciting ideas for the next 30-days. This exercise has three parts:

Part 1 - collect information. Brainstorm goals, dreams, and exciting ideas for the next month without judgement - include at least a few crazy, improbable notions.

Part 2 - reflect. Have a little chat with myself on paper about the next month of my life, and what my best month would look like, moving me in the direction of my most important reasons for living.

Part 3 - weigh the possibilities. Take a break for a few minutes. Get a fresh cup of coffee or go outside to look at the sky, then come back and read what I wrote. Write a very brief synopsis of the next month of my life.

5. Surrender, rest, recuperate: 
This next few days is a time to be empty; the time for striving is past. As the moon’s light fades into darkness I get to relax and surrender to the universe. 

Some things will always be out of my control. As the moon's appearance dwindles, I let go of useless beliefs, unreasonable expectations, grudges, defensiveness, projects that don't fit into my life, and anything else that isn't working for me. I turn these all over to the Divine and give thanks, my way of opening to receive new intentions in the new month.

Then I give myself permission to rest!

No comments:

Post a Comment