May 7, 2024

New Peony Moon

Beautiful peonies growing in my neighborhood.
The new moon rises today;
the Chinese call the fourth new moon the Peony Moon. Peonies are the flower of riches, romance, and honor, called sho yu in Chinese, which means "most beautiful." Their lush blooms are an omen of good fortune, and also foretell a happy marriage.

The new moon is the start of the lunar cycle, a time of high energy and clear thinking. Historically, the new moon is when women took time to be alone; it's a time to retreat, set intentions, and initiate something new.

Agenda:
1. Retreat Day
2. Journal queries
3. Pick a theme
4. Goals and intentions
5. New moon altar and meditation

1. Retreat Day:
If at all possible, I schedule a day of retreat on the new moon, or near to it: I do less talking, less business, and more personal thought and action. I had my retreat day Sunday.

2. Journal queries:
What new paths are calling to me?
Where do I need inspiration or a helping hand?
What skills and insights do I have to offer as a team member?
Where am I called to leadership, and what skills do I need to build?

From my journal: May is truly a transition into summer, and this summer will require well-oiled synergy as I take on the role of co-clerk for three months; I plan to use May to study, practice, and prepare. Specifically, I'm studying facilitation, communication, and full effort.

3. Pick a theme:
I pick a new theme each month at the new moon - this month it's synergy, the ability to seek unity, embrace teamwork, live holistically, and work tirelessly towards a better end.

Engagement photo- 1978
Synergy is the eternally active primal force of creation: No matter what the conditions are, they will change. You create synergy in your life when you make the effort to see clearly, stay open-minded, and take persistent right action. Synergy will allow you to experience the people in your life as angels, and the places you live, work, and play as paradise.

My favorite symbol for synergy is our marriage. 
I use a photo from our youth to remind me that the hard work of being part of a team is ultimately worth the effort.

Another aspect of synergy is wholistic living: Seeing all the roles and aspects of my life as an interconnected system, and creating connections that yield exponentially greater results.

Synergy goals might be to better understand different perspectives, become a better teammate or leader, ask for and accept practical help or spiritual guidance, have more persistence, or be more open to new paths and changes.

My synergy practices this month:
  • Self-facilitation - Be prepared for each group event; have an agenda, and all the information I need, and understand my role in the group process (who am I supporting and why?)
  • Stoic inquiry - ask myself "how I am choosing to think, feel, and act in the moment?" (am I choosing to expand or contract, give or take, contribute or pullback, appreciate or criticize?)
  • Inner synergy and full-effort: Engage all of myself (physical, mental, spiritual) in my priorities so that I create an explosion of power!
  • Garden teamwork plans and visuals.
4. Set intentions:
Last week I brainstormed some wild and crazy ideas for May, and today it's time to narrow it down a little, to the priority items that I could possibly focus on this next month. This isn't a list of the practical things I need to do this month; rather it's my top actions, studies, and growth goals that fit with the "taste" of this month of my life.

After I list my top goals for the next 30 days, I'm ready to set some intentions for action. I chose a few to write today - those I might act on soon - then I'll work on a few more each day this week.

I intend to be more proactive with committee work this month by defining my role (who am I supporting and why?) and by preparing all the information; AND then, in the moment, give attention to how I am contributing - by practicing stoic inquiry (how I am choosing to think, feel, and act?); and by giving full effort, because quietly supporting synergy and teamwork with all my groups is my contribution to the unity of the world.

I intend to care for my home with persistence, with a focus on renewal (clearing away anything old and unneeded) and expression (painting projects and other creative touches that express our Beliefs), because creating a colorful, expressive, well-ordered and peaceful sanctuary for those I love is the  honorable and sustainable thing to do, and is one way that I show  love for my family, and witness to self-transcendence.

    5. New moon altar and meditation:
     It's time to discern what to put on my altar for the next four weeks. (For my thoughts on altars see About Altars). I generally keep it simple and choose only things that speak to me and feed me, and reveal what I believe in. I ask, what quality of Spirit do I want to invoke? I added-
    • a silver candle - for synergy
    • a photo from our youth - for being part of a team
    • a dragon - for good fortune
    • a sun - for clarity and yang energy
    • an angel - to remind me to look for helpful people
    Next I light a small white candle on my altar, and picture each of my intentions accomplished. Then I let go of expectations, and feel myself fill with thankfulness for all I have now in my life.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment