September 15, 2024

Cusp of Autumn

We are on the cusp of Autumn,
and I want to take time to prepare myself - 
body, mind, and spirit. I'm taking this whole week to bring my attention to the shift we are undergoing - attempting to slow down, simplify my schedule where possible, and 
celebrate.

Agenda:
1. Fall possibilities
2. Practice a Reverent Way of Being
3. Nature culture practices for fall
4. Fall art themes
5. Make bread
6. Fall vignettes

1. Fall possibilities:
We are one week away from the Fall Equinox, and I have a few practical and contemplative preparations to make: I want to prepare projects to share with my grandson, plan my next art and writing themes, and set some intentions for this new phase of the year.

I give myself permission at the start of fall to try something absolutely new - start a new study of an unfamiliar subject, practice a new way to paint, focus on a new inner challenge, dream of outlandish notions, and / or experiment with new ways of organizing my days. And I also want to remember to include old fall favorites.

Today I will take a moment to write down some wild and fun projects, goals, and ideas for the next season of my life.
  1. Learn shibashi, and practice daily
  2. Walk the Ridgeline Trail
  3. Learn more ASL signing
  4. Take a wild garden class or course
  5. Learn inspirational writing and speaking
  6. Experiment with expressive watercolor painting
  7. Take a train someplace with Aldo
2. Practice a Reverent Way of Being:
My practice is to adopt a Reverent Way of Being for the days before each turning point of the year, which is to say I will be respectful and humble, and use a discipline of speech and thought that I find difficult to maintain for long periods of time.

Specifically, I will be impeccably honest, and tell no little fibs. Also, I won't gossip or say (or even think) anything negative about anyone. I will keep my temper and exhibit a calm presence. I find it useful to practice being virtuous for a few days at regular intervals throughout the year!

My vow at this cusp of fall: No fighting; Take it slow; Remember to BE me - Mindful, loving, and present.

3. Nature culture practices for fall:
I have studied some permaculture design, and it is useful, but I've moved towards a different vision of design that is looser and more natural. Nature-culture.

Nature-culture is an anthropology term, but I'm using it as a design and real-life-living concept: living my life as part of nature; sharing my resources with those who share theirs (the bees and the birds, etc.); becoming more aware of nature's needs so I can be a better neighbor; changing my habits so I can cause less harm.

My working definition of Nature-culture is "Humans living in unity with nature: acting in ways that create shared spaces that mimic the diversity, stability, and resilience of natural ecosystems."

This fall I will focus my efforts on:

  • Staying in daily touch with my home ecosystem - observing and interacting, learning the names of the flora and fauna that visit in the fall; being mindful of the season and climate; becoming a better neighbor.
  • Planting more native plants to reverse some of the human-caused habitat destruction that is hurting wildlife.
  • Attempting to build healthier soil over the winter, and collecting and saving seeds.
  • Using less plastics and less processed foods; causing less harm.
  • Paying forward by educating others and advocating for nature.

4. Fall art themes:
I'm at a crossroads with my art practices, and unsure what to do next. This fall I will discern a way forward for my personal art, enjoy crafting for gifts and for activism, and also dive in to creating with my grandsons.

My themes for fall are pollinators (including some felt bees and painted butterflies) and forests (including more pinecone projects and bark rubbing).
 

I intend to plan and prepare for Autumn creativity and adventure with both of my grandsons: Painting, clay, sewing, cooking, collections, and bus rides, library time, gymnastics, museums - engaging all the senses, and sharing the wonder, because they are both at the perfect age for Discovery, and growing a creative and adventurous soul is my calling.


5. Make bread
My heritage is Anglo-Saxon, and my ancestors grew oats and rye, and wheat for bread. (The bread grains of the masses were oats and rye; wheat was harder to grow, and therefore only available to the rich). 

For my ancestors, bread was a symbol of wealth, hunger, war and peace. ("If they don’t have bread, let them eat cake..."). Even though bread is still a staple food, it is so easy to buy a loaf (in a plastic bag) that its value is taken for granted.

This week I'll re-start my old habit of baking loaves of multi-grain bread at least once a month on the sabbath. I use my kitchen aid mixer to save my shoulders, and a 7-grain cereal.

I'm also going to plant some oats or winter rye this fall, as a cover crop, and harvest the grain next spring. The ceremony of growing, harvesting, and eating the grain will help me reconnect to my roots, and to the land.

6. Fall vinettes:
As fall approaches, I begin to deck the house with the oranges and golds of fall, and the fruits of the season: Gourds, pumpkins, corn, and wheat. September overflows with textures, colors, and scents; I find ways to fill my home with them, and give attention to rich details. Some ideas:
  • Hang colorful corn on the front porch. 

  • Hang a straw weaving in a place of honor.
  • Collect a vase full of autumn flowers for the mantle.
Fall flower symbols: 
  • purple asters for love and patience 
  • sunflowers for truth 
  • zinnias for friendship and resilience 
  • chrysanthemums for strength and endurance

No comments:

Post a Comment