September 2, 2024

New Harvest Moon

Tonight is the new moon. The Chinese call this eighth new moon the Harvest Moon, for obvious reasons.

The new moon is the start of the lunar cycle, a time of high energy and clear thinking. Historically, the new moon is when women took time to be alone; it's a time to retreat, set intentions, and initiate something new.

Agenda for today:
1. Journal queries
2. Choose a month theme
3. Set intentions
4. New moon altar and Harvest meditation 
5. Retreat Day plans

1. Journal queries:
How well am I responding to the challenges of the year and the season (including the season of my life)?
In what areas is my endurance fraying? What could build my resilience?
Picture my Highest Self: Healthy, fulfilled, full of energy, and happy - what shift do I need to take me there?
How can I better connect to both my roots and my spiritual self?

From my journal: I feel energized as I regain my strength after Covid. The projects I've taken on are mentally challenging and engaging, and I feel fulfilled, but not at the peak of health. My best gauge of imbalance is to observe where I feel discontent or stress. Right now, my discomfort is with my body, my energy level, and lack of motivation, especially in the afternoon, to get up and do anything physical. 

2. Choose a month theme:
Today I choose a theme for the next month, and begin to give attention to it. My theme for the next 30 days is balance - the balance of concentration and mindfulness, action and study, social and alone time, yearning and resistance.

In feng shui, the center of the home is the area of Tai Chi, the great ultimate. The image is of the celestial ridgepole, the line that connects two sides; it's the circle around and the point between yin and yang energies.

The center is the place where my soul lives; it touches all other areas of my life. My life flows around the solid base of my center. Goals for balance at the center might have to do with grounded-ness, connectedness, finding clarity in chaos, embracing paradox, or allowing myself to flow with life’s changes. Remind myself to look at change as an adventure not a disruption, and to love life as it is. Also, this is the place of connection to Spirit, and enlightenment - I might seek a closer relationship with the Spirit outside myself.

My balance practices this month:
  • Shibashi

     to restore health and energy
  • Simplify to the essentials with

    "Power of Less" tasks
  • Stoicism habits review

  • Afternoon Beingness routine

3. Set intentions:
Last week I brainstormed some wild and crazy ideas for September, and today it's time to narrow it down a little, to the priority items that I could possibly focus on this next month. This isn't a list of the practical things I need to do this month; rather it's my top actions, studies, and growth goals that fit with the "taste" of this month of my life.

After I list my top goals for the next 30 days, I'm ready to set some intentions for action. I chose a few to write today - those I might act on today - then I'll work on a few more each day this week.

I intend to make balance a theme in my life this month (with shibashi, simplicity tasks, stoicism habits, and an afternoon Beingness routine), because living in the center gives me the strength and resilience to do what needs to be done.

I intend to keep in balance by paring down for fall and building my strength of letting go: Less on my schedule, less clutter, less spending, less clinging to control - and more of choosing the essentials in my life.

I intend to plan and prepare for Autumn creativity and adventure with my grandsons: Painting, clay, sewing, cooking, collections, and bus rides, library time, gymnastics, museums, because growing a creative and adventurous soul is my calling. 

    4. New moon altar and Harvest meditation:
    It's time to discern what to put on my altar for the next four weeks. (For my thoughts on altars see About Altars). I generally keep it simple and choose only things that speak to me and feed me, and reveal what I believe in. I ask, what quality of Spirit do I want to invoke? I will keep from last month:
    • a sun - for clarity and yang energy
    • a soapstone dog - for vigilance, and to remind me to stay loyal to my pack
     Today I add-
    • a golden candle - for balance in the center
    • a God's eye - to watch over us
    • dried corn - for the harvest
    • a soapstone cat - for independence, mystery, agility, and balance
    Next I light a small white candle on my altar, and reflect on all I have harvested this year so far - friendships, knowledge, and experiences. Feel myself fill with thankfulness for all I have now in my life.

    5. Plan a retreat day:
    If at all possible, I schedule a day of retreat on the new moon, or near to it: I do less talking, less business, and more personal thought and action. I had a calm day yesterday, to write, regroup and recharge.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment