October 2, 2024

New Chrysanthemum Moon and Rosh Hashanah

Endurance- acrylic and collage on canvas.
Tonight is the night of the new moon. 
The Chinese call this ninth new moon the Chrysanthemum Moon. The chrysanthemum is a symbol of long life and endurance because of its ability to withstand colder temperatures. According to Chinese scholars, it shows the virtues of one who can endure temptations and maintain grace.

The new moon is the start of the lunar cycle, a time of high energy and clear thinking. Historically, the new moon is when women took time to be alone; it's a time to retreat, set intentions, and initiate something new.

Tonight is also the first evening of Rosh Hashanah (Roash hah-shah-nuh), which falls at or near the new moon of late September or early October. The observance begins at sundown tonight and lasts for two days, but it's actually the start of a ten-day period called the Days of Awe that ends with Yom Kippur.

Rosh Hashanah means “Head of the Year”; it’s the Jewish New Year for the Spirit. The focus of this festival is repentance for wrongs you have done, and reaffirmation that you will take the honorable path in the future.

Agenda for today:
1. Journal queries
2. Choose a month theme
3. Set intentions
4. New moon altar and meditation
5. Make challah
6. Share a Seder
7. Retreat Day

1. Journal queries:
At Rosh Hashanah I turn my thoughts inward to consider how I might be a better person in the year ahead. I ask myself--
Am I living my life, each day, in a way that leads me towards my missions? Am I enjoying the journey on that path? Do I feel honorable and contented? What could I do better?

I'm also considering some deep questions about love, uncertainty, care and compassion, and the synergy in relationships. 

What is the wholeness I am inviting? What is the unity I am seeking? What is the question I am asking? 
Where do I need inspiration or a helping hand?
From my journal: All of my projects seem unimportant and frivolous. How can I worry about removing a lilac to plant a native when our world is spinning? How can I care about lesson plans or painting when time is shrinking? This is when I really need to figure out the essentials in my life and let go of everything else. On the other hand, when I become un-busy, will my thoughts be tolerable? I am clinging and obsessing about how to finish projects because it drowns out the sadness.

2. Choose a month theme:
Today I choose a theme for the next month, and begin to give attention to it  - this month it's synergy, the ability to seek unity, embrace teamwork, live holistically, and work tirelessly towards a better end.

Engagement photo- 1978
Synergy is the eternally active primal force of creation: No matter what the conditions are, they will change. You create synergy in your life when you make the effort to see clearly, stay open-minded, and take persistent right action. Synergy will allow you to experience the people in your life as angels, and the places you live, work, and play as paradise.

My favorite symbol for synergy is our marriage. 
I use a photo from our youth to remind me that the hard work of being part of a team is ultimately worth the effort.

Another aspect of synergy is wholistic living: Seeing all the roles and aspects of my life as an interconnected system, and creating connections that yield exponentially greater results.

Synergy goals might be to better understand different perspectives, become a better teammate or leader, ask for and accept practical help or spiritual guidance, have more persistence, or be more open to new paths and changes.

My synergy practices this month:
  • Caretaking study and virtue chart - Research and write about how to listen and communicate, organize, educate, and have fun together.
  • Self-facilitation - Be prepared for asking the best questions; have an agenda, and all the information I need.
  • Stoic inquiry - ask myself "how I am choosing to think, feel, and act in the moment?" (am I choosing to expand or contract, give or take, contribute or pullback, appreciate or criticize?)
  • Simplify to the essentials
  • Inner synergy and full-effort: Engage all of myself (physical, mental, spiritual) in my priorities so that I create an explosion of power!
3. Set intentions:
Last week I brainstormed some wild and crazy ideas for October, and today it's time to narrow it down a little, to the priority items that I could possibly focus on this next month. This isn't a list of the practical things I need to do this month; rather it's my top actions, studies, and growth goals that fit with the "taste" of this month of my life.

After I list my top goals for the next 30 days, I'm ready to set some intentions for action.
I intend to be proactive with caretaking by having all the information I need, and asking the best questions; Also, I will help with organization and helper synergy, and make sure we take time to have fun together; AND in the moment, give attention to how I am contributing - by practicing stoic inquiry (how I am choosing to think, feel, and act?); plus also protect my own self care and stress levels, because my purpose right now is to love and serve my partner and my family, and my superpower is to be prepared, friendly, and calm.

I intend to pare down to my essential priorities - Family and Earth care: I will choose only three projects to work on at a time, schedule less activity, control the clutter, less spending, and less clinging to control, because no matter what happens going forward, we are going to be under enormous stress this fall and winter, and I need to get a grip! 

4. New moon altar and meditation:
It's time to discern what to put on my altar for the next four weeks. (For my thoughts on altars see About Altars). I generally keep it simple and choose only things that speak to me and feed me, and reveal what I believe in. I ask, what quality of Spirit do I want to invoke? I will keep from last month:
  • a God's eye - to watch over us
  • dried corn - for the harvest
  • my straw doll- for luck and protection
Today I added- 
  • a silver candle - for synergy
  • a photo from our youth - for being part of a team
  • an angel - to remind me to look for helpful people
Next, I light a small white candle on my altar, center, give attention to my intentions, and picture each one accomplished. Then I'll let go of expectations, and feel myself fill with thankfulness for all I have now in my life.

5. Make challah:
It's traditional to eat three foods on Rosh Hashanah: Honey for a sweet year, round apples, and round challah for a solid round year.

It's sometimes hard to find a round loaf of challah in a bakery, so I usually make my own.

Ingredients:
  • 2 packets of yeast
  • 3 Tbsp. sugar
  • 2 egg yolks (reserve the whites)
  • 1/3 c. oil
  • 1/3 c. honey
  • 1 Tbsp. salt
  • 6-1/2 to 7 c. white flour
  • sesame seeds
Makes 2 loaves
1. Dissolve the yeast with the sugar in 1 c. of warm water right in the bowl of a Kitchen Aid mixer. Let it sit for 10-15 minutes, until bubbly.






2. Meanwhile, combine the egg yolks, oil, honey, and salt with 1 c. water.




3. When the yeast is ready, add flour, alternating with the wet ingredients. 

Just keep adding flour until all the dough comes together in a ball and doesn't stick to the sides or bottom. The dough should be soft and a little sticky. 





4. Place the dough in a very well oiled bowl, covered with a damp cloth and leave it to rise for an hour in a warm area. Punch it down and let it rise again, for maybe another 1/2 hour.

5. Divide the dough in half. I made one simple round loaf to use tonight, and one braided loaf to use later. Put the loaves on oiled pans, brush with the reserved egg whites, thinned with  a little water, and sprinkle with sesame seeds.

6. Let the loaves rise for half an hour . Preheat your oven to 365ºF. Bake for 25-30 minutes.

6. Share a Seder:
My family will have a small Seder. We light candles, and say these prayers-
Barukh attah Adonai, Eloheinu, melekh ha'olam, ha-motzi lechem min ha-aretz.
Blessed art Thou, oh God, Who brings forth bread from the earth.

We take a bite of the challah (dipped in honey), then continue with the following:

Barukh attah Adonai eloheinu melekh ha-olam, Borei peri ha-eitz.
Blessed art Thou, oh God, Creator of the fruit of the trees.

We take a bite from the apple (dipped in honey), then finish with:

Shana towva umetuka!
May the year be good and sweet!

7. Retreat Day:
If at all possible, I schedule a day of retreat on the new moon, or near to it: I do less talking, less business, and more personal thought and action. I'm scheduling a mini-retreat for Saturday morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment