October 6, 2024

Navratri Continues

Navratri continues tonight with the visit of Lakshmi.

The word navratri means nine nights; These nights are broken up into sets of three, and during each set we meditate on a different aspect of Shakti (the universal principle of energy and creativity, Mother Earth, and the feminine power in each of us) - first the Goddesses Durga, then Lakshmi, and then Saraswati.

Each of the three goddesses signifies a stage of the spiritual journey we all go through: Durga’s strength and energy creates an opening, Lakshmi’s success and fortune nurtures growth, and Saraswati’s wisdom and knowledge leads to enlightenment, happiness, and peace. Tonight we honor and thank the Divine Mother as Lakshmi, the Goddess of success.

2021 rangoli
Agenda Today:
1. Morning meditation and mantra 
2. Make a new rangoli design
3. Add to my altar

1. Morning meditation and mantra:
During Navratri, Hindus work on their vyavhaar (behaviour) and acharan (character). For these next three days I honor the constructive aspect of the Mother - after Durga has destroyed the old structure of my personality, a constructive process can begin. 

The word Lakshmi comes from the Sanskrit word Laksya, meaning aim or goalLaksmi is a beautiful golden woman with four arms, sitting on a fully bloomed lotus and holding a lotus bud. Cascades of gold coins flow from her hands, indicating her offering of prosperity. She bestows spiritual and material wealth, good food, health, happiness, and the growth and unfolding of whatever is life-enhancing. 

On each morning of Navratri I light a small white candle. 
For these next three mornings I meditate on my inner life-giving force of creativity
I ask -
What part of me do I ask Lakshmi to heal and nourish? What is the wealth I wish for?
What are the life-enhancing qualities and habits that I wish to cultivate in the days ahead? 

I picture this Mother spirit sitting on the blossom of my heart, gently opening it to accept love and happiness into my life. 

I continue to focus on my image of Lakshmi and chant- (You might want to chant along with someone who knows how. Many YouTube versions exist, and my favorite is here.)
  • Om - the primordial sound 
  • Shreem -  from which beauty and feminine energy emanates
  • Ma-ha - great 
  • Lak-shma-yai goddess of wealth
  • Na-ma-ha - I pray.
2. Make a new rangoli design:
2022 rangoli to welcome Lakshmi
Rangolis are rice flour designs, made on the floor or a metal plate. At Navratri a new design might be made each day, with dots, squares, flowers, birds, and so on- each one designed to welcome the spirit of the Goddess.




3. Add to my altar:
For the next three nights the Mother is invoked as Lakshmi, goddess of material and spiritual wealth. 
I added a bowl of coins from around the world, to remind me of the nurturing quality of the Shakti.

No comments:

Post a Comment