August 10, 2024

August Deep Dive

My theme this month is Depth - 
following the deep water flowing within, cutting a natural path, the true course of my life. 

I've developed many tools and practices for this process, and this month I'll take an analytical look at how I'm doing. Am I still on the right path and are my tools in good order?

Agenda:
1. Read Total Chakra Energy Plan
2. Solar plexus chakra practice
3. Review transformative habits
4. Deep clearing the kitchen

1. Read Total Chakra Energy Plan:
I'm reading this pretty book by Anna Selby (2009). 
The author suggests that I work systematically through from the root Chaka to the crown, then start again with the root, in a continuous cycle. The aim is to bring my physical, emotional, mental, and spiritual energies into balance.

I'm on the 3rd chapter - the Solar Plexus Chakra. This chakra is the center of rational thought and moral judgements:

Balanced solar plexus = Able to discern and maintain integrity; disciplined, respectful, and courageous; intuitive.
Closed solar plexus = fearful, guilty, and lacking of confidence.
Excessive solar plexus = angry, bullying, aggressive, and egotistical.

2. Solar Plexus chakra practice:
The easiest way to balance the solar plexus chakra is by fasting from both food and mental input, and spending time in the sun.

Also, try this chi-gong practice, followed by abs work:
  1. Practice the Punching Fists, with abs engaged.
  2. Move to Pushing Palms.
  3. Do a yoga twist, relaxing into the posture for a while on each sides.
3. Review transformative habit #1, The Journal-Brainstorm:
Over the years I've developed a whole host of transformative habits that help me navigate my depths that I call "getting my ducks in a row", that include discerning my truth, intention-setting, self-archaeology (knowing myself), priority grids, a love journal, self-cultivation, renewal, inner-synergy, and many more ... I've borrowed and stolen from some great self-help gurus like Stephen R. Covey and Marvin Thomas, and I've invented some pretty great practices of my own.

This month I'm going to review my practices one at a time, starting with:
The Journal-Brainstorm
This is the first phase of discernment, drawing on my practical wisdom: Collecting information, reflecting, and weighing the possibilities. I use it every week on a small scale, and once a month in its complete form.

Brainstorming is a technique created in 1941 by an advertising executive to give his employees the freedom to think outside of the box without fear of criticism. The rules of brainstorming are:
-Generate as many ideas as you can - quantity over quality.
-Silence your inner critic, and get a little crazy.
-Combine your crazy ideas or use them as inspiration for new ideas.

Process: Sit down with my journal notebook and my favorite pen, and write, "My Next Month", or some other heading, and add the date. This exercise has three parts, 5 -10 minutes for each part: 
  • Part One - collect information. Brainstorm some lists of goals, dreams, and exciting ideas for your future. Just write whatever you think of, without judgement; put down everything you really want to do, and everything you only dream of doing, and include at least a few crazy, improbable ideas. Use these broad categories:
-Self-care and life-style
-Love, social skills, friends and family
-Career/work, retirement, life path
-Creativity and self-expression
-Activism and service
-Knowledge, skills, and growth
-Home and garden
-Travel, celebration, play
  • Part 2 - reflect. On the next page, write about your most important reasons for living and what your best life would look like, with no barriers: How you want to live and act, what you hope to see and experience, who you wish to live with and work for, and how you want to grow.

  • Part 3 - weigh the possibilities. Take a break for a few minutes. Get a fresh cup of tea or go outside to look at the sky, then come back and read what you wrote. Write a brief summation, combining all your best and craziest ideas into one fat statement.

4. Deep clearing the kitchen:
The time for spring cleaning is long past and it's not yet time for fall cleaning and battening the hatches for winter. In August I give attention to some of the dark and mysterious corners and chasms of my home: The very back of the closet, the drawers I never look in, the box on the back shelf, and the bottom of the freezer.

This week: The kitchen!

1. Deep dive into cabinets and drawers: Empty a few cabinets and drawers completely. Wipe down the shelves and interiors with a damp cloth and all-purpose cleaner. Discard anything expired, donate unused appliances, and then organize what remains for easy access.

2. Clear out the deep freeze: Take everything out and discard anything over one-year old, or unlabeled. Clean any ice or frost build-up, and replace the good stuff quickly.

3. Excavate the laundry room shelves: Choose a box or two from the top laundry shelves to sort through and discern if I really need to store it any longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment