August 24, 2024

Late August Garden

Summer deluge from under our canopy
Now, at the end of August,
the days are shorter, but still warm. We've had a lull in the heat, and no smoke, so I've been able to be outside regularly, for my 15 minutes of harvesting and puttering in the garden. I'm collecting tomatoes, cucumbers, raspberries, and duck eggs every day, and looking forward to peppers and beans soon. I especially enjoy it when one or the other my grandsons goes with me to pick tomatoes, collect eggs, and look at the sunflowers - it's the best kind of therapy.

Agenda: 
1. August garden tasks
2. August planting
3. Make fresh salsa (+ spicy tomato juice)

1. August garden tasks:
The consistency of the 15-minute daily visit keeps me connected to my garden even when I don't accomplish much. I notice the changes of the season, and how many bees I have. As Amy from 10-Acre Farm says, "It helps me to enjoy 'being' in the garden, rather than always focusing on the 'doing'."

In August I start by watering the most vulnerable plants - my peppers, new beet seeds, plum tree, raspberries, and little ponderosa pine. Then, if I have time, I work at one bigger garden maintenance task - pruning the hedge or the roses, cleaning up the old irises, and so on.


I'm using the Second Breakfast Garden monthly guides this year to update my checklists, because they are in zone 8b.
  1. Watering: We've had lots of rain this week, but I still have some trees that need a longer soak once a week.
  2. MulchTop up mulch in perennials and garden beds to keep soil moist and cool during the dog days of summer. Drop mulch on top of drip irrigation lines to retain more water. Use untreated straw, leaf mold, compost, or green mulch.
  3. Weed: Weeds are an essential part of my ecosystem. I have stopped pulling weeds in some beds, and instead I tear them off at the ground and use them as mulch. This method leaves the soil untilled; tilling exposes new seeds, and you just get more weeds. But I still pull weeds that are close to my veggie plants.
  4. Pick off cucumber beetles: They are striped yellow and black bugs that feed on leaves and stems, and a large infestation can defoliate plants. They also spread the deadly bacterial wilt disease.
  5. Deadhead herbs and flowers often.
  6. Prune raspberries: Finish up my first pass pruning, taking out any really dead wood, to give everything more room to breath. But I'll leave about a foot of cane, for small pollinators to nest in.
  7. Prepare space for the winter garden: For leeks, kale, bok choy, and garlic.
5. August planting:
I've already started seed for bok choy and kale inside, and planted beets outside. When planting anything for the fall, make sure you plant early enough to mature before the first frost date (FFD), which for us is on October 20th. 

It's now about 8-weeks before our usual first frost, and this week I'm planting spinach seed. For best results soak the seeds for a couple hours in water and keep the soil moist until they germinate and get established.
  • Spinach - direct sow 8-6 weeks before first frost - August 24 to September 7.

Spinach (Spinacia oleracea) is a member of the Amaranthaceae flowering plant family, related to the beet and Swiss chard. It is thought to have originated in Asia, and was first cultivated over 2,000 years ago in Persia (Iran). 

Spinach is a cool season (spring and autumn) crop. Plant when  temperatures are above 50°F but below 60°F, if possible, usually about 4 weeks prior to the last frost of the spring and 6 weeks before the first frost of autumn. 

Sow seeds directly into the soil, about 1” apart and 1” deep in an area of full sun (although spinach is tolerant of partial shade). I'm putting burlap over the seed for several days like I did with the beets, to keep them cool and damp. Plant near strawberries, peas, radish, lettuce, and eggplant. Also, any of the brassica family (kale, cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage), because they use different nutrients. Avoid planting near potatoes.

Water spinach seedlings often, and thin to 3-inches apart. If you encounter mildews or rusts, spray your plants with a mixture of 2-3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar to 1 gallon of water.

3. Make fresh salsa (+ spicy tomato juice):
In August the tomatoes begin to stack up. I can only eat so many BLT's! One of my favorite uses for extra tomatoes is fresh salsa. My recipe is simple.

Ingredients:
  • ripe tomatoes
  • onion
  • hot peppers
  • lime juice
  • salt
  • black pepper
  • cumin
1. Cut out the stem, and peel the tomatoes. If they are ripe, and fresh, the peels should slide off easily with a serrated knife. Chop finely and slide into a bowl, preserving all the juice.

2. Chop and add onion and peppers, and season to taste. Let sit an hour or longer to meld the flavors.

3. Strain in a colander to collect the best tomato juice ever! Serve salsa with chips.


No comments:

Post a Comment