August 19, 2024

Full Red Moon and Raksha Bandhan

Tonight is the full Moon, called akupiuthe end of summer moon, by the Kalapuya of our area, and the Red moon by othersbecause it often appears reddish as it rises through the sultry haze of late summer - and in our valley, a sultry haze is the norm! One lovely (possibly Native American) explanation for the redness is that the moon is blushing after being kissed by the sun.


We are now at the peak of the strong-energy yang phase of the waxing moon, and will soon begin the quiet-energy yin time of the waning moon.

In India, this is also the Festival of Raksha Bandhan, which means “knot of protection.” Traditionally, girls tie a braided thread called a rakhi around the wrist of each brother-- a symbol of a sister's love and prayers for her brother's health and happiness, and to remind him of his life-long vow to protect his sister. Now it is also common for girls to trade rakhis with sisters, and with friends.

Agenda for today:
1. Take a vision walk
2. Celebrate depth
3. Make rakhis
4. Send love and prayers

5. Make Kayla Halwa (Banana fudge)
1. Take a vision walk:
The full moon shines a bright light on everything, and I might experience intuitive and creative breakthroughs. I might be shocked by the clarity of my insights, and I might have some profound new understandings. 

This month, as I have explored my life-path, I've been swept into my own depths. I’m directed back at every turn into deeper waters within, to watch the unfolding of my purpose. I need courage, because the abyss is dangerous, the path is mysterious, and it leads to unexpected challenges and changes.

Like water, I am persistent and sincere, and I keep flowing. Today I'm going to settle into silence and access my intuitive mind - my connection to the Creator and the Inner Guide - and seek a leading of the spirit with an open mind and heart, using these queries:

When I grow up (when I reach my full potential), what kind of person do I want to be, and what kind of life do I want to lead? In what ways am I off that path now, and what small adjustments could I make to get on course? 

What is my framework or guidance system for my day-to-day priorities and choices? 

What are my highest values? If I follow them to the deepest place of love, joy, generosity, fulfillment and peace, what work do they point to that I am to do for others? 
 
What in my life is asking for the light of Truth to shine on it? What choices am I facing? What paths am I resisting? What are the risks? What are the benefits?

From my journal: When I grow up I want to be pure love; I can take a baby step towards that, by holding love and care in my heart with more attention. I want to live in Unity with all, at peace with who I am, present in the moment, and open to messages from God, people, the earth, and ... everything. Also,I want to have the courage of my convictions and be a creative force for change - that is my prayer.

2. Celebrate depth:
My theme ​this month ​is Depth, discerning my true purpose and path in life, working on transformative practices, and committing to my priorities.

Today I remind myself of my intentions for the month, and then celebrate how far I've come, give thanks for the lessons learned and the blessings received, and reaffirm this theme for the next two weeks. Each month I choose a different way to celebrate the full moon, and I am ready to celebrate depth today in these ways:
  1. Deep dive into pollinator information.
  2. Create a new website for expressing myself.
  3. Paint more butterflies on the wall.
  4. Go on a depth walk meditation. 
3. Make rakhis:
rakhi is like a friendship bracelet, made with braided embroidery floss, silk thread, and with a decoration shaped like a flower in the middle. Before the festival, the markets in India are filled with dazzling rakhis, in different sizes, colors and shapes, embellished with beads, gold or silver threads, or satin ribbons.

Rhakis are traditionally red and gold: Red symbolizes protection, strength, and a promise, and gold symbolizes good luck. Many girls like to make their own rakhis for sentimental reasons, and the materials and methods they use are endlessly creative. If you do a search online for "how to make a rakhi" you will see some great ideas!

Supplies: Embroidery floss or yarn, a ruler, scissors, a bead, button, foam or cardboard flower

1. Choose two colors of embroidery floss or yarn - any colors that are meaningful to you- and cut them to 24-inches.

2. Now tape the pieces to the table and twist them together. 
The strands are twisted and folded...







When the twist is very tight, double the strands over, holding on to the center point.

and now you have a cord!

Let go of the center and let the two sides twist together- it will look like a crumpled mess, but just pull the folded end out until it's straight.

3. Rakhis traditionally have a flower shaped center. This year I found some sparkly foam flowers... we threaded on a bead, then the flower.

Other options: Cardboard covered with glitter, sequins, or jewels, or a nice button.

3. Send love and prayers:
The rakhi is given with great ceremony. On the morning of Raksha Bandhan, each sister sets out a tray with flowers, diya lamps, incense, sweets such as halwa, and the rakhi. The sister applies a tilak on her brother's forehead, then she ties the rakhi on his right wrist, and then offers him blessings to guard him against all harm. 

The notion that brothers should protect their sisters might seem old-fashioned; many sisters might say, "I can take care of myself," which is probably true. However, the thought of an expectation of protection makes me happy. I'm not sure how my brothers feel about it.


Today I spent a few minutes during my morning meditation sending blessings, love, and prayers for health and happiness to each of my siblings, picturing them at peace in their distant homes. Then I expand my prayers to the rest of my family, my friends, my community, and to nature.


4. Make Kayla Halwa (Banana Fudge):

The rakhi ceremony ends when the sister offers the brother sweets, such as halwa, an Indian candy made from vegetables or fruit.

Halwa is usually served in small squares, and comes in bright colors- carrot halwa is orange, pistachio is green, mango is red, and banana is yellow! It's like soft caramel, with a strong banana flavor and nice cashew crunch. The recipe is here!

No comments:

Post a Comment