October 10, 2026

New Chrysanthemum Moon

Endurance- acrylic and collage on canvas.
Tonight is the night of the new moon. The Chinese call this ninth new moon the Chrysanthemum Moon. The chrysanthemum is a symbol of long life and endurance because of its ability to withstand colder temperatures. According to Chinese scholars, it shows the virtues of one who can endure temptations and maintain grace.

The new moon is the start of the lunar cycle, a time of high energy and clear thinking. Historically, the new moon is when women took time to be alone; it's a time to retreat, set intentions, and initiate something new. 

And Saturday is my day for proaction: Proaction is taking initiative to anticipate and shape future events rather than simply reacting to circumstances as they happen. Some people think Covey should've just used the word ACT, but proaction requires a thought: "I could do this or I could do that; I choose to do this."

Agenda:
1. New moon retreat day
2. Choose a month theme
3. Right Action brainstorm
4. Proaction and reciprocity plans
5. Read "Achievement"

1. New Moon Retreat Day:
I have a whole day today to be open to receiving insights and inspirations. My plan is to stop what I'm doing every couple of hours today to listen within, and look for hints all around me. My query is, "What is the authentic me (Spirit /Truth) needing and what can I let go of?"

2. Choose a month theme:
I pick a new theme each month at the new moon - this month it's synergy, the ability to seek unity, embrace teamwork, live holistically, and work tirelessly towards a better end.

Engagement photo- 1978
Synergy is the eternally active primal force of creation: No matter what the conditions are, they will change. You create synergy in your life when you make the effort to see clearly, stay open-minded, and take persistent right action. Synergy will allow you to experience the people in your life as angels, and the places you live, work, and play as paradise.

My favorite symbol for synergy is our marriage. 
I use a photo from our youth to remind me that the hard work of being part of a team is ultimately worth the effort.

Another aspect of synergy is wholistic living: Seeing all the roles and aspects of my life as an interconnected system, and creating connections that yield exponentially greater results. 
Holism is taking care of all the dimensions of my life: Mental, spiritual, physical, social, environmental, and financial. That's where simplicity teams up with synergy - to help me to hone in on the most effective way of living. 

Synergy goals might be to better understand different perspectives, become a better teammate and leader, ask for and accept practical help or spiritual guidance, be more open to new paths and changes, and care for myself more holistically.

My synergy practices this month:
  • Weekly "Right Action" brainstorm for earthcare, community, and self. Hone in on the top priorities.
  • Teamwork and delegation: Be prepared to communicate my vision, and insist on sharing the work.
  • Creative perspective: Weekly "New Narrative" for challenges and Needs, with simplicity and synergy as a focus.
  • Inner synergy and full-effort: Engage all of myself (physical, mental, spiritual) in my priorities so that I create an explosion of power!
  • Extreme budgeting 
3. Right Action clarity:
Many things in many areas are calling for action - how do I choose what is the action for me to take NOW? My practice is to choose from my felt sense of Rightness - what is Right for the world and Right for myself at this time; what I have a skill for, what fits with my time and energy, and what integrity and Truth demand.

My areas of Action focus are:
  1. Earthcare: Writing (fall themes + climate change), craftivism, leadership of EFM EC group, advocacy for the ECEF bill, and IFEK calendar education.
  2. Clerk of our Meeting: Generally managerial role but now also listening and communication, spiritual holding, and business facilitation.
  3. Peace and Justice: Again more of a managerial function. 
4. Proaction and reciprocity plans:
Once I have clarity and a framework, then I try to define achievable, meaningful goals and prioritize the goals and tasks with the greatest long-term impact.

My plan for Earthcare Action in the next week:
  • Sat: IFEK calendar
  • Sun: Write about Indigenous People's Day + Cut leaves for Retreat
  • M: Retreat plans + Mock up a new EC brochure; Theme: Resilience?
  • T: Color and fold leaves for retreat
  • W: IFEK calendar work + ECEF call
  • Th: QEW Gathering
  • F: QEW Gathering + Color and fold leaves for retreat
  • Sat: No Kings rally and tabling for ECEF
  • Sun: EC retreat and climate cafe
My plans for Clerking in the next week:
  • Sat: Update and attach slate
  • Sun: Plan clerk's gathering
  • M: Ministry & Counsel meeting
  • W: Notes for Support Meeting + Send reminder for business meeting
  • Sun: Clerk meeting and learn new names + Ask Annie about Nom com
5. Read "The Achievement Habit":
I'm reading from this book by Bernard Roth (2015), subtitled "Stop Wishing, Start Doing, and Take Command of Your Life". This is a book about "design thinking", applied to achieving goals in your life. It's due, so I'm going to skim and sum up the last chapters:

Chapter 8 is Self Image by Design, and it begins with examine my role models, starting with my parents, and how their views affected my thinking about money, life path, authority, work, hobbies, risks and fulfillment. 


No comments:

Post a Comment