July 22, 2026

Aspiration

Wednesday is my day to re-group and re-define my week. First I make a plan for getting over the bump of the mid-week (not an issue this week because I've had an extended weekend!), then I re-envision my emotional tone and perspective.

Agenda today:
1. My plan for annual session mental health
2. Read "Your Heart Was Made for This"
3. New narrative
4. Mission haiku

1. My plan for annual session mental health:
Ideas:
  • Simplify my practices; focus on Being calm, sharing my Light, and playing.
  • Find a quiet place to do my (simplified) morning practices.
  • Eat a high-protein breakfast for a sharper focus - reduce the carbs.
  • Afternoon alone time (or nap) to recharge.
2. Read "Your Heart Was Made for This":
I just began this book by Oren Jay Sofer (2023), with the subtitle, "Contemplative Practices for Meeting a World in Crisis with Courage, Integrity, and Love". It has 26 short chapters on innate qualities we each have, that we can cultivate and develop as inner and external expression, meant to be read and practiced in order, one each every 1-2 weeks.

Part One explores six core qualities, and the second is Aspiration, a verb meaning to connect to the spirit energy that animates my life. "Every day, every moment can bring new possibilities--if we are open to them. Aspiration connects us with a sense of what is possible. It's a key that opens the door to healing, spiritual cultivation, and social transformation."

3. Write a mission haiku:
My missions are my various big projects or directions in life. The mission I'm looking at today is to "Love and serve my family and my community, learning greater equanimity and compassion".


Today I'll write this mission / intention as a haiku, because a poem has a unique ability of getting to the core of a Truth, and I'm always surprised by what surfaces. Here's the steps I use:

1. Write a brief, evocative sentence or two describing this top mission in my life, and the significant issues that surround it: I'll use the Beingness mantra I wrote yesterday: My purpose is to BE the best person I can, with integrity, peace, love, and unity; think before acting; stay calm and patient with people and problems, not obsessed with any thought; treat every person and creature with respect, patience, kindness, and love.

2. List the most exciting or pleasing verbs that describe what I want to do with this mission:
Love, cooperate, grow, choose, think, listen.
3. Next, list some core values that prompt this mission:
Love, integrity, equanimity, peace, unity, purpose, discernment.  
4. Turn these sentences, verbs, and values into a haiku (5, 7, and 5 syllables) or a Cinquain (2, 4, 6, 8, and 2 syllables) that gets to the core of my mission, and gives me a framework for my actions.

Growing, 
choosing peace,
BEING the best me.
I cherish my people like sunrise 
each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment