Friday is my day for proaction: Proaction is taking initiative to anticipate and shape future events rather than simply reacting to circumstances as they happen. Some people think Covey should've just used the word ACT, but proaction requires a thought: "I could do this or I could do that; I choose to do this."
The First Quarter is yang, a time to take decisive and smart action on my intentions; time to remain flexible, use my obstacles as fuel for growth, and show full effort for priorities.
Agenda:
1. Read "Perspective":
I'm finishing this book by Meridith Elliot Powell, subtitled Reignite, Reinvent, Reframe (2025). This is the work I am dedicating myself to this year.
I'm on Chapter 8, Possibility Thinking, about strategic courage and seeing the options (rather than blind optimism). The idea is to look beyond fear and defensiveness, and gaze out to the horizon - Ask, "What's possible because of these challenges?"
"Possibility thinking requires bold moves -- but not reckless ones." As a leader I can encourage experimentation without chaos by:
- Set clear boundaries. Define what kind of failure and risk is acceptable.
- Give explicit permission for taking initiative. "Take opportunities that arise."
- Ask for a hypothesis rather than a plan "What outcome are you testing? What will success look like?"
- Celebrate the good failures. Recognize when someone took a thoughtful risk even when it fails.
- Review and reflect juicily. Normalize learning.
The main thing to remember is that action creates clarity - taking the first step on a risky idea will show me the net step.
2. New narrative for mindfulness:
One of my weekly Creative Perspective tasks is to define a new narrative, today for the habit of mindfulness.
I will pay attention to my body and sensations AND notice my feelings of overwhelm, in order to cultivate awareness.
3. Write a mission haiku:
My missions are my various big projects or directions in life. The mission I'm looking at today is to "Be a creative force in the world".
Today I'll write this mission / intention as a haiku, because a poem has a unique ability of getting to the core of a Truth, and I'm always surprised by what surfaces. Here's the steps I use:
1. Write a brief, evocative sentence or two describing this top mission in my life, and the significant issues that surround it: My purpose is to BE a creative force - leaning in to the risk of self-expression, speaking Truth, and taking action."
2. List the most exciting or pleasing verbs that describe what I want to do with this mission:
writing, painting, creating, acting, speaking up.
3. Next, list some core values that prompt this mission:
Integrity, unity, purpose, discernment, creativity.
4. Turn these sentences, verbs, and values into a haiku (5, 7, and 5 syllables) or a Cinquain (2, 4, 6, 8, and 2 syllables) that gets to the core of my mission, and gives me a framework for my actions.
A creative force,
a flower blooming in a crack,
act with my whole self.
4. Proaction and reciprocity plans:
Once I have clarity and a framework, then I try to define achievable, meaningful goals and prioritize the goals and tasks with the greatest long-term impact.
My plan for Earthcare Service in the next week:
- F: Communicate: with Liz re: queries, share new calendar; Plan digging and potting days- should I open to everyone? who is taking lead on native plants? Ask for input for News.
- S: Read my emails and label them so I can find earthcare news when I'm ready
- Sun: Start Free Native Plants sign;
- M: Write a News: highlight Day of Action, and info about ECEF; and especially look in to the organizations that IFEK supports so I can update that calendar too -
- T: Read ECEF handbook; send a plan to Dennis: plans for action: ECEF voter's pamphlet? pledges, letters to the editors, Endorsements? Canvasing date
- W: Update IFEK calendar + Meet with IFEK and report on ECEF coalition (take computer to collect pledges)
- Th:
4. Preparedness:
One of the habits I'm trying to build is to be prepared. What are the bits I can plan into my days to be prepared for Earthcare Proaction?
- Read my emails and label them so I can find earthcare news when I'm ready.
- Organize my meeting notes and check them off.
- Do we need an EC committee shared calendar?

No comments:
Post a Comment