Tuesday is my day to look at my social and emotional self, and make an effort to shift my perspectives around how I view and treat the people in my life.
This is the time of the waning crescent "balsamic moon" - the final yin phase, a pause that marks the end point in this phase. Now we can ease off a bit on actively pursuing goals, slow down, go within, and attend to inner work, renewal, and self-care.
Agenda:
1. My anger journal2. Read "How to Deal with Anger"
3. Brainstorm for next moon
1. My anger journal:
I'm keeping an Anger Journal to record every time I feel miffed, uneasy, disappointed, tense, defensive, belittled, or angry. And I want to get more focused on recording what I notice in my body. The only really tense moment I had was at Papa's when the noise level got on my nerves and I got short of breath and irritable. I definitely need to heed those warnings earlier and move outside for a break, so I don't take it out on excited kids.
2. Read "How to Deal with Anger":
I'm reading this book by Isabel Clarke (2016) that I got at Powell's, because after my last explosion I decided I won't reach equanimity without managing my anger. Part 2 is Tackle: Get to grips with what you need to do to make a change, and Chapter 4 is Taking control of your body.
The first step is to notice what is going on in my body; these are early warning signs. I get tense in my shoulders and my face, breath shallowly, and my voice gets higher. Sometimes I have butterflies in my stomach. I begin to obsess or worry in my mind- I can only think about the "one thing". If I can notice these signs early enough I will have a chance to cool them down and let Wise Mind suggest a course of action.
The two physical warnings that I have control over are my muscle tension and my breathing, so that's where I need to focus my attention.
Relaxation / Breathing:
- Breathe in for a count of 1-2;
- Breathe out for a count of 1-2-3-4, and RELAX at the same time.
3. Brainstorm for next moon:
Every month after the third quarter moon, I take some days to be quiet and contemplative and prepare for the next phase of my life. At the new moon (tomorrow) I will transition from one focus to another, and a whole new field of opportunity.
This week I'll take time to review, and write down my goals, dreams, and exciting ideas for the next 30-days in my priorities. My next theme is Balance:
- Writing: Late summer themes - forest fires, water/draught, fishes awareness, water ally, fish as food
- Art: Watercolor illustrations and better photos for my book; Bathroom door project.
- Teaching: Wrap up summer (fairy garden, city backdrop, water-play, T-ball), and celebrate the start of school with pockets!
- Family: Game night, trip to Olympia.
- Home: Continue deep cleaning; paint front; finish deck and canvas roof.
- Self: Balance my emotions, my people and alone time, Doing and Being, my Hungry Ghosts.
- Learning: Finish books! Sign up for nature classes and outings.
No comments:
Post a Comment