
The Chinese call the seventh new moon the Hungry Ghost Moon, or Ghost Gate, because today the Hungry Ghosts are let out of hell to roam the earth, looking for entertainment and seeking out their enemies. This whole month is called Ghost Month, and special ceremonies take place today, and on the full moon, and again on the last day of the month.
The Hungry Ghosts are depicted with huge, round bellies, large mouths, and very thin necks. They have two manifestations: They appear as the spirits of unhappy, homeless souls, and we also have our inner hungry ghosts.
This month I acknowledge my unhealthy cravings and insatiable greeds, that are always hungry and never satisfied, and that haunt me - though I'm so used to feeding them, I don't really notice them anymore.
The new moon is the start of the lunar cycle, a time to journey to the well of wisdom and intuition. Historically, the new moon is when women took time to be alone; it's a time to retreat and set intentions, but it's also a yang time to initiate something new.
Agenda for Today:
1. Choose a month theme
2. Balance journal queries
3. Ghost Gate ceremony
4. Writing themes
5. New Moon ceremony
1. Choose a month theme:
Today I choose a theme for the next month, and begin to give attention to it. My theme for the next 30 days is balance - of concentration and mindfulness, Doing and Being, social and alone time, yearning and resistance, and Flow: Moving from one project or focus to another easily and smoothly, knowing when to say yes and when to say no.In feng shui, the center of the home is the area of Tai Chi, the great ultimate. The image is of the celestial ridgepole, the line that connects two sides; it's the circle around and the point between yin and yang energies. The center is the place where my soul lives; it touches all other areas of my life. My life flows around the solid base of my center.
Goals for balance at the center might have to do with grounded-ness, connectedness, finding clarity in chaos, embracing paradox, or allowing myself to flow with life’s changes. Remind myself to look at change as an adventure not a disruption, and to love life as it is. Also, this is the place of connection to Spirit, and enlightenment - I might seek a closer relationship with the Spirit outside myself.
My balance practices this month:
Daily Balance Journal
Flow scripts
Afternoon Beingness routine
- Equanimity practice
How can I balance Doing and Being today? Where is the flow of life taking me today?
Then I think about the connections I will make this day, and ask-
What is the patience and equanimity I might need?
3. Ghost Gate Ceremony:
Today, at the Ghost Gate, I light incense for my unknown ancestors and all the other wandering souls. I'm not afraid that they will attack me, but I think the least I can do is take a moment to send peaceful wishes.
After I've said a little prayer to those Hungry Ghosts, I meditate on my inner hungry ghosts-- the cravings I have for comfort, cookies, and getting my way in life. As the incense burns, I picture my greediness floating away.
4. Writing themes:
The next few days are the best block of time I have for healthy obsession for my writing project. Today I will set themes and topics for writing and research:
- Th: Be a Friend to Air
- F: Edit and post
- Sat: Prevent Forest Fires with Radical Action
- Sun: Edit and post
- M: Eugene Clean Energy Fund
- T: Edit and post
- W: Awareness of Water and Draught
5. New Moon ceremony:
Tonight I want to begin a practice of acknowledging the time of the new moon by going outside at sunset to look for it. I will say a brief prayer: "Tonight I go to the well of wisdom, seeking a place to start." And I listen for a moment for insights and visions.
No comments:
Post a Comment