August 14, 2026

Friday

Friday is my day for proaction: Proaction is taking initiative to anticipate and shape future events rather than simply reacting to circumstances as they happen. Some people think Covey should've just used the word ACT, but proaction requires a thought: "I could do this or I could do that; I choose to do this."

This is the new moon phase, the start of the lunar cycle, a time to journey to the well of wisdom and intuition. Historically, the new moon is when women took time to be alone; it's a time to retreat and set intentions, but it's also a yang time to initiate something new.

Agenda:
1. Read "The Exquisite Risk"
2. Balance journal
3. Set intentions
4. Proaction and reciprocity plans
5. Preparedness

1. Read "The Exquisite Risk":

 
I'm just starting this small book by Mark Nepo (2005), with the subtitle, Daring to Live an Authentic Life. It's about how to stay awake and open to our experience of life, when our wounds make us numb and hidden. "But we all live on this shore between the depths of being and the dangers of experience." 

The first section is, There are Teachers Everywhere, and Chapter 1 is Listening to the Voice Inside. "When we can listen deeply, we are strengthened to feel that everything around us lives within us and that everything within us lives as part of the world." This is the experience of the Universal Self. "In the practice of our days, to listen is to lean in, softly, with a willingness to be changed by what we hear." Listen as if it is our last day on earth.

2. Balance journal:
This month I plan to I start my day with some thought about the balance I'm seeking. I ask-
How can I balance Doing and Being today? Where is the flow of life taking me today?

Then I think about the connections I will make this day, and ask- 
What is the patience and equanimity I might need?
 
My balance journal: Today's I'm going to try to pause at the transition from one project or task to another to listen to flow and intuition. The equanimity I am reaching for is within my own impatience and boredom.

3. Set intentions:
Last week I brainstormed some wild and crazy ideas for August and September, and today it's time to narrow it down a little, to the priority items that I could focus on this next month. This isn't a list of the practical things I need to do this month; rather it's my top actions, studies, and growth goals that fit with the "taste" of this month of my life, and how I want to feel.

After I list my top goals for the next 30 days, I'm ready to set some intentions for action. I chose a few to write today - those I might act on today - then I'll work on a few more each day this week.

  

I intend to focus on balance and flow this month, living with the awake and authentic Inner Me and my connection to Spirit. I'll keep a daily Balance Journal to remember flow and equanimity; and practice intentional time and flow practices, that balance Doing and Being, and utilize intuition, to remind myself to live in the flow of the day, with immediency – slow down and just BE, in this moment- aware and awake, listening to my intuition and messages from the Universe.
 
I intend to observe and give attention to my state of being in and out of equanimity: I will record whenever I am miffed, defensive, impatient, or angry with my family, friends and community, and savor the times when I act in peace, and stay calm and patient with people and problems, because everyone deserves that basic respect and compassion, and peace generates love, and I want to learn how to manage my anger once and for all. 
 
I intend to give daily attention to the End of Summer garden - harvesting and preserving as much as I can, collecting seeds, preparing winter garden beds, and starting fall planting - because my garden is a sacred trust with the earth, and caring for it year round with integrity is how I live my testimony of Unity.

I intend to give daily attention to my art practices to bring me back to the studio for purposeful creation: Take photos and make art to illustrate the Nature-Culture ideas I want to share; make and share craftivism, such as garden signage and giveaway art, that witnesses to earthcare, and might inspire the passion for change that I feel; use creativity and art to create meaningful messages in my home and yard; make fun things with my hands and play with art.  

4. Proaction and reciprocity plans:
Once I have clarity and a framework, then I try to define achievable, meaningful goals and prioritize the goals and tasks with the greatest long-term impact.

My plan for Earthcare Service in the next week:
  • F: Register for QEW webinar; Push our outdoor worship... post the News; Advertise the ECEF fundraiser
  • S: Registration for our EC retreat + Check in with Liz about worship sharing and queries;
  • Sun: Outdoor worship;
  • M: Start Free Native Plants sign
  • T: Read ECEF handbook; plans for action: ECEF donations, pledges, letters to the editors
  • W: Update IFEK calendar; 10 am ECEF call
  • Th: QEW webinar
4. Preparedness:
One of the habits I'm trying to build is to be prepared. What are the bits I can plan into my days to be prepared for Earthcare Proaction?
  • Read my emails and label them so I can find earthcare news when I'm ready.
  • Organize my meeting notes and check them off.
  • Do we need an EC committee shared calendar?

No comments:

Post a Comment