August 10, 2026

Monday Rhythm

Monday is my day to reset for the week
 
and get my ducks in a row - make some plans for health and home, and how I will step up for the Natural Living Challenge.

This is the time of the waning crescent "balsamic moon" - the final yin phase, a pause that marks the end point in this phase. Now we can ease off a bit on actively pursuing goals, slow down, go within, and attend to inner work, renewal, and self-care.

Agenda:
1. Read "How to Keep House While Drowning"
2. Deep cleaning
3. Giving each thing a home
4. New food habits

1. Read "How to Keep House While Drowning":
I got this little book by KC Davis (2020) from the library a couple of years ago and thought I'd like to review it this month. Her philosophy is "You don't exist to serve your space; your space exists to serve you. ... There is a big difference between being on a journey of worthiness and being on a journey of care."

Chapter 32 is Rhythms over Routines. The difference is that rhythm is fluid and flowing, and routines are more rigid. Put the house on a daily and weekly rhythm, such as a daily morning tidying ritual that always includes: Put dishes away, fold clothes, clear the table. This eliminates decision-making and puts you on autopilot.  
 
2. Deep cleaning:
After quite a while of doing "basic" cleaning, I'm starting to be disgusted with some parts of my house (around the sink, door frames, light switches...). In the next month I expect to be stuck inside quite a bit as the temperature begins to soar, so now is the time to step it up a bit, little by little, to clean those spots well.

This week: 
  • Clean behind the toilet and under the sink.
  • Clean the door (and come up with a decoration plan).
  • Wipe around the edges of the tub.
  • Replace caulk.
3. Giving Each Thing a Home:
I'm still working to find a zen balance of order that feels good. I have asked myself "Why am I holding on to so much stuff - how can I make letting go super easy? How can I make sorting fun again?"

My current clearing plan is to tackle one room clearing task, one outdoor clearing task and one studio task each week. This week I plan to:
  • Clear linen closet 
  • Clean up my potting shed area
  • Studio: Choose some paintings to give away, and bring them into the house.
My weekly rhythm + extras is:

  • M: Recycling + clean and recycle extra pots                                         
  • T: Garbages                                          
  • W: Sort linens and give some away                                     
  • Th: In-basket, papers 
  • F: Deep dive: Choose some paintings to give away, and bring them into the house.                                                  
  • Sat: Clean up my potting shed area 
  • Sun: Zen tidy in bedrooms

4. New food habits:
Last week I set my diet as a priority in the next month, with the top row being vegetables, healthy snacks, and N-R-G drinks. My routine:
  • M: Make a weekly snack and lunch plan, including healthy baking.
  • T: Prepare snack servings - hard boiled eggs, carrot sticks, cheese sticks...
  • W: Kiva treats + veggies
  • Th: Find some new good recipes; plan meals.
  • F: Shop.
  • Sat: Make bread or other baking
  • Sun: Look at leftovers in the freezer

No comments:

Post a Comment