August 31, 2026

End of August

Monday is my day to reset for the week
 
and get my ducks in a row - make some plans for health and home, and how I will step up for the Natural Living Challenge.

We are in the yin time of the waning gibbous moon - a time to receive the fruits of our labors, a time of quiet, internal, heart-driven, intentional Being-ness. 

Agenda:
1. Discern my receptivity
2. Read "Tiny Habits"
3. New habits ideas
4. Healthy snack habit
5. Giving each thing a home

1. Discern my receptivity:
This yin time after the full moon is the best time to open myself to accept the gifts of the universe. But this is also a time of discernment - what gifts do I want and need at this time? Look again at my intentions to remember what I've asked for, and record any small gifts I've received.

Journal: I continue to revel in calmness and renewed closeness with family. I've also received a lot of positive reinforcement for my writing, and support for earthcare projects.

Next, discern what it is I want to receive this next month, and how I can best open to it:
  • Equanimity and calm - work with anger management book;
  • Better understanding of neurodiversity so I can offer support - reading and writing.
  • Abundant wise writing - keep my writing time sacred.
  • Energy and motivation to work at clearing - make time, plan a script;
  • Continued enjoyment of watercolors - plan simple, meaningful projects.

2. Read "Tiny Habits":
I'm reading this book by BJ Fogg (2020), with the subtitle of "The Small Changes That Change Everything". This is the scripting process introduced in Sweet Spot, expanded on.

Chapter Four is Prompts are the Invisible Drivers of Our Lives, because no behavior occurs without one. The world is filled with them - and it's time to take the power of prompts back. "...motivation and ability exist on a continuum, but prompts are black-and-white." You either notice it or you don't.

Types of Prompts: 
  1. Inner prompts like feeling hungry or tired.
  2. Context prompts are anything from my environment, like sticky notes, notifications, verbal reminders, or check-lists. They can work but they can also be stressful, and it's easy to become desensitized to them.
  3. Action prompts are behaviors I already do, like waking up from my nap, or letting the ducks out. These are a great way to anchor a new habit.
3. New habit ideas:
Last week I made a list of ideas for new habits and steps, and today I will add to them:
  • Exercising: Always start with some gentle neck and back stretches. On days I backslide I can all least do those.
  • Oiling my bike chain: Take the tiny step of finding my oil and a rag.
  • Healthy snack habit: Choose to learn and make one new healthy snack each week.
  • Clearing the studio: Anchor it to right after my nap and store a tempting snack out there.
4. Healthy snack habit:
This month I've set my diet as a priority, with the top row being vegetables, healthy snacks, and N-R-G drinks. I made a weekly schedule, and Monday is my day to plan my snacks and lunches for the week, including some healthy baking. (Tuesday I will prepare the snacks).

To make this habit easy, I've decided to learn and make one new healthy snack each week, and add it to my Favorite Healthy Snack List. A healthy snack includes a fruit or a veggie:
  • Grapes, peaches,
  • Sweet fruit yogurt
  • Crackers and hummus
  • Bagels and avocado
  • Carrots
  • Tomatoes and cottage cheese
  • Apples and peanut butter
  • Crostini with tomatoes and cheese
This week: Crostini with tomatoes
  1. Slice and toast a loaf of French bread.
  2. Slice a tomato and add salt and pepper - store in refrigerator
  3. Spread soft cheese, add a tomato and eat.
5. Giving Each Thing a Home:
I'm still working to find a zen balance of order that feels good. I have asked myself "Why am I holding on to so much stuff - how can I make letting go super easy? How can I make sorting fun again?"

My current clearing plan is to tackle one room-clearing task, one outdoor-clearing task and one studio task each week. This week I plan to:
  • Sell some books 
  • Organize shed shelves
  • Studio: Give away some canvases (clear big shelf)
My weekly rhythm + extras is:

  • M: Garbages + studio
  • T: Recycling 
  • W: Sort clothes and give some away  Studio                                   
  • Th: In-basket, papers, books 
  • F: Deep dive: Sell books + give away canvases                                                 
  • Sat: Organize shed shelves
  • Sun: Zen tidy in living room

No comments:

Post a Comment