September 15, 2026

Cusp of Autumn

 We are on the cusp of Autumn, and I want to take time to prepare myself - body, mind, and spirit. I'm taking this whole week to bring my attention to the shift we are undergoing - attempting to slow down, simplify my schedule where possible, and celebrate.

Tuesday is also my day to look at my social and emotional self, and make an effort to shift my perspectives around how I view and treat the people in my life.

This is the yin time of the waxing crescent moon, a phase of growth, when I am planting my intentions and caring for them. I'll take time to discern and create clarity. 

Agenda: 
1. Review "How to Deal with Anger"
2. My anger journal
2. Fall possibilities
3. Practice a Reverent Way of Being
4. Nature culture practices for fall
5. Fall vignettes

1. Review "How to Deal with Anger":
I'm reading this book by Isabel Clarke (2016) that I got at Powell's, because after my last explosion I decided I won't reach equanimity without managing my angerPart 2 is Tackle: Get to grips with what you need to do to make a change.

Chapter 5 is Now You Have a Choice. It's about buying myself time to choose how to react. 

The tool that is effective in this case is mindfulness: Gentle, compassionate curiosity, in-the-moment; noticing my body, my feet on the floor, my judging, something I can see, hear... Mindfulness helps to bring me into the present during an anger challenge so that I have the option to make a different choice. First I practice it as an exercise, and then the next step is to use mindfulness (along with breathing and other coping methods) at the time of a struggle, to buy time before I MAKE A CHOICE.

2. My anger journal:
I've been practice mindfulness once or twice a day, to make it a habit - just a brief "noticing" exercise, mindful of my body, what I see and hear, and how I am Being in the moment. I must say I am beginning to notice the moments when I tense up because of a slight or anxiety.

I'm keeping an Anger Journal to record every time I feel miffed, uneasy, disappointed, tense, defensive, belittled, or angry. And I've also been paying attention to distraction and torpor, and how it affects my flow. One pattern I've noticed is my 2:00 slump and how quickly my patience fizzles, especially if we are out in public.

3. Fall possibilities:
We are one week away from the Fall Equinox, and I have a few practical and contemplative preparations to make: I want to prepare projects to share with my grandsons, plan my next art and writing themes, and set some intentions for this new phase of the year.

I give myself permission at the start of fall to try something absolutely new - start a new study of an unfamiliar subject, practice a new way to paint, focus on a new inner challenge, dream of outlandish notions, and / or experiment with new ways of organizing my days. And I also want to remember to include old fall favorites.

Today I will take a moment to write down some wild and fun projects, goals, and ideas for the next season of my life.
  1. Begin to write about autumn light, the equinox, a corn doll, plant butterfly gardens, butterfly hangers
  2. Bookstore treat day
  3. Bling my bike for the Bright Parade!
  4. Clerking transformation ceremony with E.
  5. Add 20 new native plants to my front yard
  6. Walk the Ridgeline Trail
  7. Advertise an online discussion for Nature-Culture
4. Practice a Reverent Way of Being:
My practice is to adopt a Reverent Way of Being for the days before each turning point of the year, which is to say I will be respectful and humble, and use a discipline of speech and thought that I find difficult to maintain for long periods of time.

Specifically, I will be impeccably honest, and tell no little fibs. Also, I won't gossip or say (or even think) anything negative about anyone. I will keep my temper and exhibit a calm presence. I find it useful to practice being virtuous for a few days at regular intervals throughout the year!

My vow at this cusp of fall: No fighting; Take it slow; Remember to BE me - Mindful, loving, and present.

5. Fall vinettes:
As fall approaches, I begin to deck the house with the oranges and golds of fall, and the fruits of the season: Gourds, pumpkins, corn, and wheat. September overflows with textures, colors, and scents; I find ways to fill my home with them, and give attention to rich details. Some ideas:
  • Hang colorful corn on the front porch. 

  • Hang a straw weaving in a place of honor.
  • An end-of-summer nature tray. 

  • Sage and rosemary hanging to dry.
  • Bake bread and make soup.
  • Collect acorns in a glass jar with grandsons.
  • Add sparkle lights around the hot tub.
  • Collect a vase full of autumn flowers for the mantle.
Fall flower symbols: 
  • purple asters for love and patience 
  • sunflowers for truth 
  • zinnias for friendship and resilience 
  • chrysanthemums for strength and endurance
6. My Receptivity Project:
Receptivity is the ability to be open to incoming information, ideas, perspectives, and emotions without immediate judgment or resistance. It's the skill of creating space to truly accept what is flowing in from others, from spirit, or my own heart, becoming a vessel first; but an active vessel, holding and caring for what I receive, and being willing to grow and change. I open to new perspectives and possibilities. I open to inspiration.

Some areas to apply receptivity are in my studies, my communication, my writing and creativity, and in how I receive criticism. I ask these queries each day:
What is the something new I'm waiting to receive?
What have I recently received that needs nurturance?

My journal: Today I will open to the wonder of a 3-year-old, and nurture his love for nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment