Tuesday is my receptivity day of the week, when I look at my social and emotional self and make an effort to shift my perspectives around how I view and treat the people in my life.
We are in the yin time of the waning gibbous moon - a time to receive the fruits of our labors, a time of quiet, internal, heart-driven, intentional Being-ness.
Agenda:
1. Review "How to Deal with Anger"
2. My anger journal
1. Review "How to Deal with Anger":
I'm reading this book by Isabel Clarke (2016) that I got at Powell's, because after my last explosion I decided I won't reach equanimity without managing my anger. Part 2 is Tackle: Get to grips with what you need to do to make a change, and Chapter 6 is Using Choice Wisely, about what happens after I have bought myself time to choose how to react.
In that moment, I ask my anger questions: What is Wrong??? Is there anything I can do about this situation? Is it really important or should I let it go? If it IS important, what can I do?
If I find that I have anger for a really good reason, then I can continue with problem solving, "All the valuable energy that your anger has mobilized by getting your body ready for action can then be put into the important work of reaching a solution."
If I find that the anger has no good reason or if I can't solve it, then I can move on to discharging my anger safely.
2. My anger journal:
I've been practicing mindfulness once or twice a day, to make it a habit - just a brief "noticing" exercise, mindful of my body, what I see and hear, and how I am Being in the moment. I must say I am beginning to notice the moments when I tense up because of a slight or anxiety, and I'm also noticing certain situations and times of the day that create anxiety most of the time. One pattern I've noticed is my 2:00 slump and how quickly my patience fizzles, especially if we are out in public.
And I've mostly been able to pause and quickly say, "Let it go - this is not a big deal!" or sometimes, "This is no one's fault - I need to get myself out of here to calm down."
No comments:
Post a Comment