September 21, 2026

International Day of peace

Today is the International Day of Peace, established in 1981 by a resolution of the UN General Assembly. In 2001 the date was fixed on September 21, and declared as a day devoted to strengthening the ideals of peace, through observing 24 hours of non-violence and cease-fire.

United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres says, "Around the world lives are being ripped apart, childhoods extinguished, and basic human dignity discarded, amidst the cruelty and degradations of war."

Monday is also my day to reset for the week and get my ducks in a row - make some plans for health and home, and how I will step up for the Natural Living Challenge.

This is the yin time of the waxing crescent moon, a phase of growth, when I am planting my intentions and caring for them. I'll take time to discern and create clarity. 

Peace Day Agenda:
1. Clearing habit
2. Raise awareness
5. Make peace stones
6. Peace vigil


1. Clearing habit:
I'm still working to find a zen balance of order that feels good. I have asked myself "Why am I holding on to so much stuff - how can I make letting go super easy? How can I make sorting fun again?"

My current clearing plan is to tackle one room-clearing task, one outdoor-clearing task, and one studio task each week. 

I've anchored a habit of studio-clearing to right before I work in the studio - it worked a couple of times last week - I cleared space on the Big shelf and moved the loom, boards, and other
 things off the floor. 
The tiny bit is that 
I have 5 minutes only, so it's a race! 
Look around for 1-10 things to CLEAR and 
get these things OUT of the studio, into a give-away box, or the recycling, or the garbage.

Today I've decided to use that same time and logic -- before my studio time -- to anchor my other big clearing projects. 
This week I plan to:
  • M-T: Clear
     and organize my studio book and paper cupboard.
  • W-Th: Clear out the food cabinets 
  • F-Sat: Clear driveway garbage
2. Raise awareness: 
The 2026 Theme is Invest in Peace - For Everyone, Everywhere, Every Day: "Today, amidst staggering volatility, the search for peace feels overwhelming—but it has never been more urgent. Peace is more than the absence of war; it is the foundation necessary to collectively tackle humanity’s challenges. It is the lived experience of safety, dignity, opportunities and cooperation in our daily lives.

This year’s International Day of Peace honours the 'everyday architects of peace'—people driving local action, laying the groundwork for stability, and building a lasting peace from the ground up. ... Everyone, everywhere can do their part for peace. Take one small step for peace every day:
  • Give your time to help someone else.
  • Lend your voice to drive positive change.
  • Host a Peace Circle - an intergeneration youth-led conversation on solutions.
  • Use your platform to promote a cause or tell a story of peace and hope

3. Make peace stones:
Each year I choose a project for Peace Day. One year we made peace flags; once I invited friends to watch a video about Peace Day; and once we made a peace poster in my art class. A couple of years ago I found the website for Pinwheels for Peace, and I was inspired to make pinwheels with one of my students. (That project is described here.)

This year I decided to repeat what I've done the last 4 years: Make Peace Stones to give away.

Supplies: Round rocks and glass stones, paint pens, spray varnish (optional)


Washing stones (photo from 2021)


1. Clean stones and let dry.






2. Draw peace signs with paint pens and seal with spray varnish, if you want.

3. Leave on a sidewalk with a sign! "Today is the International Day of Peace. Please take a Peace Stone."

4. Peace vigil at noon today:
Whatever you choose to do, please pause at 12 Noon local time and join people all across the globe in a Minute of Silence / Moment of Peace.
Minute of Silence / Moment of Peace - In 1984, in commemoration of the annual International Day of Peace and in solidarity with the United Nations, the NGO Pathways To Peace inaugurated the Minute of Silence at 12:00 Noon in each time zone, resulting in a “Peace Wave” around the world. Individuals, organizations, communities and nations are invited to participate in this shared and practical act of peacebuilding on September 21.

No comments:

Post a Comment