September 20, 2026

Sabbath

Today is my sabbath - when I step out of the fray and regroup. We are nearly on top of the equinox, with an active week ahead, and I want to take time to prepare myself - body, mind, and spirit. I want to open to awareness, wisdom, and courage.

We are in the First Quarter Moon phase, one-quarter of the way through the moon cycle. The moon is waxing - getting larger - until it's full again. The First Quarter is yang, a time to take decisive and smart action on my intentions; a time to remain flexible, use my obstacles as fuel for growth, and show full effort for priorities.

Agenda:
1. Read "Your Heart Was Made for This"
2. Awareness of the Autumn light
3. My receptivity project journal

1. Read "Your Heart Was Made for This":
I'm reading this book by Oren Jay Sofer (2023), with the subtitle, "Contemplative Practices for Meeting a World in Crisis with Courage, Integrity, and Love". It has 26 short chapters on innate qualities we each have, that we can cultivate and develop as inner and external expression, meant to be read and practiced in order, one every 1-2 weeks.

Part Two explores patterns of energy: Rising and falling energy, flowing like a wave (cycles of vitality and rest); Expanding and contracting energy (broadening awareness and focussing); and Yin and Yang.

Chapter 8 is Courage. It takes courage to stand on the edge of the cliff of life and open to everything. I need courage to stand in the way of systems of domination; to speak truth to power; to make life choices that have integrity; to love and risk loss.

Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the "willingness to be present and vulnerable, meeting what is happening with an open heart, in spite of fear."
  
Reflection: Consider the times I've had courage to face challenges. What are all of the factors that helped me to rise to the occasion? Was helped me to face the fear or anxiety?

2. Awareness of the autumn light:
The light changes as we approach autumn, coming at a lower and lower angle, softer and more diffuse. The light has been shifting all summer, since the solstice, because of the earth’s tilt; in a few days, at the equinox, the Earth will be positioned so that the Sun is directly over the equator, and the Sun's energy will be in balance between the northern and southern hemispheres. 

Here in the northern hemisphere, we experience the Sun's energy as less direct, and more scattered, because it has to travel through more of the atmosphere to reach us. The lower sun angle spreads the same amount of solar energy over a larger area, leading (usually) to cooler temperatures.

It’s a slow and subtle transformation. Have you noticed it? 

Our Autumn Light warning system is the crystals hanging in our living room window: When the angle of the sun gets low enough, the first rainbows appear on our walls, and we all know autumn is arriving. This is the start of Rainbow Season, catching rainbows on our faces, and those of our happy grandsons!

When you open your curtains in the morning, take a moment to give attention to the quality of the light. Notice that the light spectrum is shifting towards a golden hue. Notice that the slanting angle of the light produces longer, more prominent shadows.

When you step outside, pay close attention to the way the light filters through the trees and interacts with the leaves. Notice the patterns of light and shadow created on the ground. The lower light angle deepens natural colors and highlights textures.

These simple morning rituals can help you start your day with peace, connect with nature through all your senses, and appreciate the soft beauty of the transition to the autumn season.

3. My receptivity project journal:
Receptivity is the ability to be open to incoming information, ideas, perspectives, and emotions without immediate judgment or resistance. It's the skill of creating space to truly accept what is flowing in from others, from spirit, or my own heart, becoming a vessel first; but an active vessel, holding and caring for what I receive, and being willing to grow and change. I open to new perspectives and possibilities. I open to inspiration.

I ask these queries each day:
What is the something new I'm waiting to receive?
What have I recently received that needs nurturance?

Today I open to being synchronized with people in service work, with our hands in the dirt.
I will nurture my new ability to feel calm in the chaos, and be aware of when I need to step away.

No comments:

Post a Comment