September 7, 2026

Sabbath for Curiosity

Today is my sabbath - when I step out of the fray and regroup. We are at the beginning of the end of summer, with an active week ahead, and I want to take time to prepare myself - body, mind, and spirit. I want to open to awareness, wisdom, and curiosity.

And I'm still in third quarter yang moon energy time for reciprocity, generosity, collaboration and connection; a final time of action before the next moon cycle.

Agenda:
1. Read "Your Heart Was Made for This"
2. Spiritual growth goals
3. Finishing up plan of action

1. Read "Your Heart Was Made for This":
I'm reading this book by Oren Jay Sofer (2023), with the subtitle, "Contemplative Practices for Meeting a World in Crisis with Courage, Integrity, and Love". It has 26 short chapters on innate qualities we each have, that we can cultivate and develop as inner and external expression, meant to be read and practiced in order, one every 1-2 weeks.

Part Two explores patterns of energy: Rising and falling energy, flowing like a wave (cycles of vitality and rest); Expanding and contracting energy (broadening awareness and focussing); and Yin and Yang.

Chapter 7 is Curiosity, the gateway to understanding. With curiosity "...we can open to transformative realizations about the human heart, consciousness, and the nature of existence." Curiosity has yin energy, like the sensitive attention to the smell of a rose, and interest in the mystery of life, and yang energy, like when we study a question and concentration gathers, and focus intensifies. Curiosity both nourishes and energizes. 

We must nurture curiosity about the realities of injustices if we want to understand and change them. Try getting curious about things like violence, conflict, destructive habits, suffering, and unearned advantage. "This kind of radical interest nurtures empathy, insight and skillful action. ... Even seeking to win over an opponent, curiosity remains open to their truth."

Reflection: Choose something to be curious about - this week maybe the situation of draught around the world, and/or how neurodiversity works. Question everything about this, including my habitual choices, thoughts, and roles.     

2. Spiritual growth goals:
Spiritual growth is the basis for a better and more harmonious life, a life of calmness, courage, and inner strength. My goals for spiritual growth change and flow with the season. And I need to develop practices that help me grow.

I ask, "What is keeping me from living fully for Love and for the earth? What spiritual discipline might help me to find greater Light?"

Journal: As I move in to the fall, and transition from balance and flow into Love and receptivity as my focus, I want to continue to grow in concentration, wisdom, curiosity, patience, and kindness.

Plan this week:
  1. Continue my anger and calm journal with particular curiosity about my habitual reactions.
  2. Write a new perspective for curiosity.
  3. Plan some Love goals and practices.
3. Finishing up plan of action:
I have a week left in this moon cycle. Yesterday I m
ake a list of things that still need attention, and today I'll make a plan of action:
  • Flowing with my energy level: Experiment with a new morning order and check in
  • Plant sign: Got a good start yesterday - today I might finish.
  • Nature and garden classes: Look for online courses in seed-starting and drought
  • Front-of-house painting: Just choose days and do it - Wednesday and Friday are the days.
  • Watercolor illustrations: Add tiny steps to my creativity list, and schedule them (choose a fish, collect photos, etc.).
  • Earth coat sleeves
  • Studio clearing
  • New slate

No comments:

Post a Comment