Today is my sabbath - when I step out of the fray and regroup. We are nearing the end of September, winding deeper in to Autumn, and I want to take time to prepare myself - body, mind, and spirit. I want to open to awareness, wisdom, and courage.
The sun is at the peak of its power, lighting all corners with its radiance, and burning away all non-essentials, and we are now also at the peak of the strong-energy yang phase of the waxing moon, the time to harvest what was planted and nurtured.
Agenda:
1. Read "Your Heart Was Made for This"
2. Full moon queries
3. Celebrate receptivity and openness
3. My receptivity project journal
1. Read "Your Heart Was Made for This":
I'm reading this book by Oren Jay Sofer (2023), with the subtitle, "Contemplative Practices for Meeting a World in Crisis with Courage, Integrity, and Love". It has 26 short chapters on innate qualities we each have, that we can cultivate and develop as inner and external expression, meant to be read and practiced in order, one every 1-2 weeks.
I'm continuing Chapter 8, on Courage. Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the "willingness to be present and vulnerable, meeting what is happening with an open heart, in spite of fear."
Courage requires wisdom, for understanding and perspective, and compassion, so we don't pretend everything is okay. Wisdom helps us recognize the truth of what is happening, pause, and ground in the present moment, and then to act in alignment with our values. "The more awake we are to the suffering in our world, the more courage we must call forth. The courage to act in the face of danger or crisis is supported by a deeper kind of existential courage: The courage to allow ourselves to be seen just as we are."
Reflection: Consider the times I've had courage to face challenges. What are all of the factors that helped me to rise to the occasion? What has helped me to face the fear or anxiety? If I was to choose a challenge just beyond my comfort zone what would it be? What have I been avoiding that I'd like o act on - an apology, project, issue? What is a first stepI can take to embody courage?
2. Full Moon Queries:
On the Sabbath nearest the full moon I take a deeper dive into my month's theme with meditation and inquiry. My theme this month is Receptivity and Openness: Receptivity requires that I be open-hearted, available, gentle, trusting, and generous; but it isn't a passive condition - it requires that I do the work to care for what I receive, and have the strength to love without conditions. I use the image of being a fertile earth mother when I am nurturing something new in my life.
Today I call on the Spirit of Light to guide me, bring me clarity and open my eyes. What is the Truth that is coming into focus for me now?
Queries:
How do I release my defensiveness so that my heart is open? How can I create a space for something new?
In what areas of my life do I want to be more open and receptive? What blessings am I seeking? What is the "something new" I'm waiting to receive?
What have I recently received, and what kind of nurturance does it need from me?
How can I be less judgmental and more patient with the relationships, new projects, ideas, and missions I am nurturing in my life?How can I create a habit of generosity and easy-going open-handedness?
My theme for this Harvest Moon cycle continues to be receptivity. I've been taking time to open myself to the courage and wisdom I need to receive what comes in my life and future it. Today I will celebrate receptivity by:
- Sitting in reflective worship.
- Flowing through my day with mindfulness to all that I am holding.
- Share a moon sharing time with good friends.
4. My receptivity project journal:
Receptivity is the ability to be open to incoming information, ideas, perspectives, and emotions without immediate judgment or resistance. It's the skill of creating space to truly accept what is flowing in from others, from spirit, or my own heart, becoming a vessel first; but an active vessel, holding and caring for what I receive, and being willing to grow and change. I open to new perspectives and possibilities. I open to inspiration.
I ask these queries each day:
What is the something new I'm waiting to receive?What have I recently received that needs nurturance?
Today I open to receiving a quiet, contemplative flow of a day, and the courage to take the steps to care for all I am holding.
No comments:
Post a Comment